• Advertisement

96 chevy tahoe

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

96 chevy tahoe

Postby Luffydog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:01 am

chevy tahoe running rough when driving so new plugs and wires hoping it well fix. no help. well drove it a couple wks. so being cold and all i put it off. then the intake gasket blew. wow right. well started breaking it down. got in there and thought while i was in there that the spinder injection was bad causing a misfire so i replaced as well. long story short a big pain not really bad just time consuming really. replaced all gaskets,spider injection,lower and upper intake gaskets,throttle body cleaned and gasket,new coolant,oil,oil filter. wow just really alot there to do. anybody else tried this? what i am unsure of is the distribitor i hope i got it right lol. time will tell if it runs ok or not. they have to be on a computer to be set within a certain degree or they will set a code off for the check engine light. the price to have someone to do it i thought was heavy and stiff and hard on the tail pipe lol if you know what i mean there. so gaskets and coolant,oil,filter about 200 malards not bad. the spider that i replaced at the last moment was over 300 malards so now i got 500 malards total. the guy that was going to do said he would do it for 1000. he said he would be here to pick it up monday or tuesday but never showed up. last night i got a call and they said they forgot about it. i told them i didnt forget about it and being broke down all week. he said they would be here today to pick it up i said ok good by then i should have it all back together and running by then. about a hour went by ring ring he said did you say that you would have it running later and i said yep. he said what happened i said i did it myself. he says why didnt you call i said why didnt you call knowing that you said you can do it and will do it knowing that i had to have it running by sunday. he sat there not saying anything and just hung up. well better get back to it b4 it doesnt get done lol. just wondering if anyone else has had this probs with this engine and with the mechanics. just had to vent sorry. thanks for reading lol. over loaded :bricks:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: 96 chevy tahoe

Postby madmantrapper » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Well you didn't say what year, what engine, how many miles on it ir anything else really. So it is hard to answer. I don't trust any mechanics, that is why I learned to do most everything on a vehicle. Seen to many folks ripped off, shotty work and the like.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby TwoCycle » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:28 pm

5.7L V8
Did you mark/note the distributor position prior to removal?
Do you have any diagnostic tools? Scanner or code reader, fuel pressure gauge, digital multimeter?
Any codes? If you can access freeze frame data, record all data, especially the oxygen sensor volts and the fuel trims.
Running rough could be low fuel pressure/volume causing a lean condition.

Let us know what the available tooling is and we can go from there.
TwoCycle

Postby Luffydog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:19 pm

i did say what year it was but i failed to say it is a 5.7 v8. no special tools here. just plan old school here. no scanner tools or volt meter. but i did take some pics of it b4 i tore in. i also took note of the distributor and marked it. all went very well got it all back together and gave it a test start. fired right up no probs and no leaks n codes. test drove and had plenty of power that it hasnt had in over 2yrs or so. wasnt running on all cyclinders thinking 6 maybe at times 7 because of the fuel injection. i gave it the up grade kit mpfi. running smooth and all went well. thanks for your input.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby okie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Hey Dog

Glad all went well for you. Don't it feel good fixing a problem? :D

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:37 pm

yes it feels good to do it as well as saving 1500 mallards makes it a bonus. thanks for all help and being interested in this job as i didnt post to much about it. thanks again.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion