• Advertisement

Fulltilt's Behavior

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Fulltilt's Behavior

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:16 am

I might need explain why I haven't just drop the axe on Filltilt's account for I know he is distraction from what our forums intent of helping and educating those that work on small engine powered equipment.

I am trying to get him to understand that are not here make sarcastic remarks and other downing remarks. When he first jumped me I nearly cancelled his account but I am trying make my decision with a cooler head and give him a chance to straighten up his act and play nice with others.

I have noted what he is doing and the complaints that I have received from members via PMs. I have gave a warning about this plus a couple PMs asking his to cut it out. Now the ball is in his hands.

Fulltilt's attitude reminds me of my brother's. My brother thinks he know it all when working on equipment and if he does know and you don't he always has some downing comment. If wasn't for my respect for my mother I would flatten him no telling the times.

What some don't understand it is harder to teach then it to learn at times. Everybody learns differently and the teachers must adapt to student at times. Some students have a natural ability and others wants to learn but harder to understand things as it not organize the way their minds work. It like me, I would dearly like learn to play the piano but some reason I just can't get it through my thick skull. :roll: just reading the documents. Even I have problems understand some the technical documents related our work. Sometimes I need an actual piece equipment in front of me and go through things one item at time.

On top that sometimes the tech document simply don't cover I am doing and would think it would be same for others too. It like the Kawasaki 750 4 wheel drive I was working that front differential had to be overhaul. The service manual covered removal by instructing the unbolting and simply said remove the chuck out. No mentioning that it only comes out one and only way with only a few thousandths clearance. It was so tight going back in it took 30 minutes just to get it back in and that was with the use of oil filter box paper as seal protectors.

Now I have been called a Shade Tree Mechanic but I definitely know better but I do have enough sense to know working under a shade tree is better than out on hot asphalt in the sun. The term usually refers to someone that has no idea what they are doing. In what I do here you need to a Master Mechanical and Electrical Mechanic. This might be why the last official job title I held was Senior Customer Engineer before started working for myself.

It true as the saying goes "You work 8 hours a day to become your own boss and then to just work 12+ hours days".

Oh well got to go. A customer is unloading a mule from his cattle trailer for me to work on. No it not animal, it is a Kawasaki 4 drive Mule UTV. Hmmm, Do I work on it first or the leaf blower. So many decisions before the coffee fully kicks in.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Fulltilt's Behavior

Postby BJ1010 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 am

Thank you for handling the problem.
BJ1010

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:58 am

Trying to ...
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:09 am

Its kind of like the people that open their mouth before their brain is in gear..

There's been plenty of posts on here, and on other forums where I might *THINK* the same sort of things (as in .. Ohhh Derrrrrr! ) usually with people that are supposedly "pros" with their own shop or working in a shop.. It gets to where you kind of have to hold their hand and walk them through what to most of us is a very simple diagnostic procedure.. depending on my mood, I usually don't even bother to reply when I get to where if It had been in person I'd be giving them a "look" (without saying it) like "Are you naturally stupid or do you have to WORK at it?" But unlike a couple people that have been on here (and one that has already been banned) I don't articulate or post those thoughts.. :) and others, It takes a little re-reading of a post to "get" the things that those loudmouths have completely missed. (reading between the lines, so to speak)

But its like in person - there's one in every shop, pretty much.... works that way in just about any repair shop I've ever worked in.. some people just have no sense of humility and forget that they were on the other side and still learning what they did not know, once.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Exactly and I for one is still on both sides of the coin as I try to learn new things everyday and I had been working on equipment in general since '79.

BGS, if you still remember as well some our older members might how I was when I first started using forums especially over on PERR. I had to some guidance just in basic forum behavior myself. It also took some time for me to get back into the teaching mode as I was a lone field tech for 16 yrs and was not use to explaining what to me was simple stuff. Even then I tried my to get along everyone.

Fulltilt just need to understand when someone is new this or anything else there will questions that sound dumb but if the poster don't know and is needing an answer then provide accurate info in a nice way. Some of the stuff we get into is sometimes even over the Pros heads and surprisingly a novice might just be of help as they done been there already. One time when I was working on piece of office equipment and had got stuck on what do, someone with just a curious question asked what something was. It turn out to be exactly what was wrong with the equipment and her question actually refocus my thinking at the time and was greatly appreciated.

Something else any member got to remember too and that is this a public forum and it reflects on all members when one is unprofessional in their posts.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 pm

whatever became of deere-to-me? He was a pot stirrer too.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 pm

I am a little uncomfortable with this on an open forum. Another one I frequent has a 'Board Room' where discussions like this can take place without airing the laundry in public, kinda like the principal's office. Only trusted members are allowed to participate. I wonder if we should look at something like that.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:05 am

38racing wrote:whatever became of deere-to-me? He was a pot stirrer too.

Think Seth Rich and Vince Foster..... ;)
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:40 am

RoyM wrote:I am a little uncomfortable with this on an open forum. Another one I frequent has a 'Board Room' where discussions like this can take place without airing the laundry in public, kinda like the principal's office. Only trusted members are allowed to participate. I wonder if we should look at something like that.

RoyM, Sorry it makes you uncomfortable but I from a community of Amateur Radio operators where we do openly invite member comments on things that affect the whole member community. Personally I don't make unilateral decisions but can if the situation warrant it.

This particular matter affecting the forum I felt I needed public comments from all affected members. It would have been so easy to simply ban member being discussed but probably no one would understand the reasoning behind it.

For other matters I do use the PM to discuss things since there is only 4 of us in the management level.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:16 pm

He does cause a ripple affect!!!!!
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion