• Advertisement

Alternate photo hosting site

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Alternate photo hosting site

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 am

Gentlemen,

Do you know of a site that still offer free image hosting that I can use here. Photobucket is trying to hold me up as they are demanding me to sign up for their Plus 500 account for 399.99 per year paid in advance or at least that is the message I am getting.

So for now all my previous posted images will be offlined as Photobucket is holding them for ransom money which I am not paying.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Alternate photo hosting site

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:13 am

That doesnt sound right I get a pop-up asking me to subscribe at $99/year but it is only adding storage space and ad-free usage - the site generates revenue from ads , but not a surprise that a subscription would be offered (more reliable income) I don't see how they are holding images hostage though - just logged in to my account and got the pop up you mention but there is that "x" in top right corner to dismiss it.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:43 am

That one I have seeing for a long time this is new. I even got an email here from them. From the screen images on our site they are holding them hostage but that is fine as got my originals here.

Here is an extract of part of the email.

TO RESTORE YOUR 3RD PARTY HOSTED IMAGES,
PLEASE UPGRADE TO A PLUS 500 PLAN.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Greetings All

This sounds suspiciously like some form of ransom wear has found its way into Photobucket. I would strongly suggest not clicking on that pop-up or you may just be inviting that same ransom wear into your computer. Try contacting the Photobucket staff through their Contact-Us link on the Photobucket home page and ask them if this is legitimate or some sort of intrusion. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby bobodu » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:05 am

A simple google search for "photobucket third party hosting" show that this is very real...what a great way to cut off your own nuts. Just look at my avatar if you think it's fake...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:22 am

Yes I have found that they did this to all members of Photobucket effective June 1, 2017 as changed their terms. Just pure greed as I still have the ads to go through so they wanting a grantee payout from the members.

They got so screwed up I can't even download the my album or just single picture from their site so I can transfer to another site. Some those that were post was the system here that crashed the hard drive. Contacted them about this and gave the same instructions as I was already was trying to download things then gave the old line of technical difficulties. Either way they are holding my images hostage for ransom money.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 am

what about imageshack.us or imgur.com ? matter of fact got tons of results on google searching "free image hosting"

But yeah I also see the same thing in ebay forums a lot of people being affected by that photobucket B.S.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 am

bgsengine wrote:what about imageshack.us or imgur.com ?

I now using imgur.com which why I now got at avatar back up. It just some of the images I had posted will still be offlined due me not having a local copy to repost.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:53 am

I'm glad you mentioned downloading the whole album...wasn't as bad as I thought....time to tell them where to go.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion