• Advertisement

Introduction

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Introduction

Postby 3v0 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:35 am

As a farm boy I learned to turn wrenches at an early age. I do most of my car work but small engines are somewhat new to me.

Lately I got serious about fixing small engines and have collected about 20 of them. The idea was that I would fix the ones I had no use for first and work my way up to the others. Currently I have about 20 engines ranging from 2 to 17HP.

Some of the stuff is interesting like the Cooper Klipper Trim reel mower, a 3 cylinder speedair compressor with a twin cylinder military engine, and an Autoauger Clinton power 2 stroke post hole digger (now working). One small briggs has a bad exhaust valve guide and the military engine clunks when you try to turn it, thinking crank or rod.

I started with the smaller engines first. The Clinton and three of the 8ci 2 or 3 HP briggs are running. These little briggs were all trash pump engines. The 2 or 3 HP engine on the Cooper Klipper and a 10ci Briggs (~4HP) on a WinCo genset are in progress.

I also have an AENLD with clutch and gear reduction that I need points for and modern a 8HP L-head briggs that I have the carb off. The rest have not been started on.

I use an ultra sonic cleaner for carbs and small parts and am playing with reverse plating for derusting parts.

I have been blogging about my adventure but am not sure if it is OK to post a link in a first post. Feels too much like spamming.

3v0
3v0

Advertisement

Re: Introduction

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:47 am

3v0 wrote:As a farm boy I learned to turn wrenches at an early age. I do most of my car work but small engines are somewhat new to me.

Lately I got serious about fixing small engines and have collected about 20 of them. The idea was that I would fix the ones I had no use for first and work my way up to the others. Currently I have about 20 engines ranging from 2 to 17HP.

Some of the stuff is interesting like the Cooper Klipper Trim reel mower, a 3 cylinder speedair compressor with a twin cylinder military engine, and an Autoauger Clinton power 2 stroke post hole digger (now working). One small briggs has a bad exhaust valve guide and the military engine clunks when you try to turn it, thinking crank or rod.

I started with the smaller engines first. The Clinton and three of the 8ci 2 or 3 HP briggs are running. These little briggs were all trash pump engines. The 2 or 3 HP engine on the Cooper Klipper and a 10ci Briggs (~4HP) on a WinCo genset are in progress.

I also have an AENLD with clutch and gear reduction that I need points for and modern a 8HP L-head briggs that I have the carb off. The rest have not been started on.

I use an ultra sonic cleaner for carbs and small parts and am playing with reverse plating for derusting parts.

I have been blogging about my adventure but am not sure if it is OK to post a link in a first post. Feels too much like spamming.

3v0

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.. and technically you won't post a link like that in ANY post (absolutely no advertising)
- Ive been tempted here and there to mod a post due to links, but as the links were directly relevant to the question in most cases, couldn't be justified, but making a thread to specifically post or promote your own blog or website is asking for, at a minimum, moderation, at worst, perma-ban..

you MAY have links to your blog in your signature line (much like my link to my website, below) within certain guidelines - namely, it needs to be industry relevant to small engines or outdoor power equipment. I'd thought about allowing non-industry and non-profit links, but just makes it harder to enforce the rules.. and since the forum covers quite a wide range of stuff, it leaves plenty of room.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm

I thought about allowing the blog thingie IF it was made clear that it was for entertainment only and the big ole can of Perma-ban would come out at the first report of any misuse. Brian has the final word on that.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby okie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Hello 3v0
Welcome to the smartest small engine spot on the web.( I'm sad that does not include me) :oops:
Play nice and you can get a lot of good info and maybe a laugh or 2.
I used to work in Woodward and Hooker many years ago. Small world. :D

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby 3v0 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:34 pm

bobodu wrote:I thought about allowing the blog thingie IF it was made clear that it was for entertainment only and the big ole can of Perma-ban would come out at the first report of any misuse. Brian has the final word on that.

I have two blogs. One is about my work with the small engines and the other is about an early 1970s baby road roller that I am bringing back to life. These blogs are more or less my personal journals and have no following. I tried to add them to my signature but it does not seem to allow the URL tag. Honestly it is not a big deal to me as I am not here to push them.

The road roller is my favorite project which I purchased non running at our city auction. As I said earlier it is powered by a Wiscon 9HP AENLD. Currently it is down with suspension trouble. This is an image of it 'parked' behind the city shop in 2011.

3v0

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion