• Advertisement

Other

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Other

Postby Luffydog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:17 am

Anyone know of any other small engine forums
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Other

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 am

Depends on what you looking for. Most are fairly useless for me if am needing help. Most sites members are the DIY users.

I am helping out on Jack's Small Engine forum that they started recently, they are asking me to be a Moderator there. Then there is The AnswerArmy (Husqvarna's forum set)[I am about the only member that answer questions there, don't ever see anybody from Husqvarna posting and it is their own site], Outdoor Power Equipment (mainly chainsaws) as is Arboristsite, OutdoorKing Repair Forum forum in Australia (charges a fee to access), Smokstak, MyTractor, and others.

I think our site is better than most as we actually post detail and as accurate info as we can. We don't know everything and as for me I can only help on what I have worked on. I also can usually figure out things if I can find enough info about a problem. What we need even on our site is more full time techs helping.

Sometimes you just got to be like me, search, download, and just read the service manuals as I am doing this morning on a Kawasaki Mule 2510. I having to clean the fuel system, rewire and install new terminals where so-called techs made shift repairs over the years. I remove the old fuel pump that was disconnected and replace with an AM pump. Whoever did the repair was too lazy to even remove the old pump, a simple clip of a wire tie. I still got to pull the starter to replace the Bendix clutch gear as it is slipping intermittently and re-plumb the fuel system, drain and replace the fuel as it is bad can't even ignite it with a lighter. This should get to least running again as it has been sitting several years.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:24 pm

I find this forum to be more civil than most, I dropped out of a couple because of the constant flaming. As he says, the level of expertise is greater here so we can be more helpful as long as we get enough information.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Good Comment Roy

I think Bruce Perault set the bar pretty high when he started up the original PERR (Precision Engine Repair) small engine forum, and BG held to the same high standard when he opened this forum. The collaboration between the moderators and the regulars appears to keep the intellectual level high enough that trolls and dough heads lose interest and disappear. I think it's this level of integrity along with members who work on these things and actually know what they're talking about that sets this forum apart from many others.

As KE4 says, if you are looking for information specific to chainsaws or antique equipment, there are forums dedicated to those interests. For general small engine help though, this forum seems to be the ace in the hole. Keep up the great work all.

On a personal note, I was honoured when I was asked if I would be a moderator for this forum, however I had too much going on with work and family matters that I didn't feel I could give this forum the time and attention it deserves.
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Luffydog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Seen some others but like has been posted not to much going on on their sites. 6x6 world is another one as well. Just looking to see what else was out there to help others wasn't looking for any certain type equip. Thanks for the replies I'll check them out.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:29 am

RoyM wrote:I find this forum to be more civil than most, I dropped out of a couple because of the constant flaming. As he says, the level of expertise is greater here so we can be more helpful as long as we get enough information.

That one of the reasons I quit logging into the Arboristsite. I actually got cussed out for asking a question.

Luffydog wrote:Seen some others but like has been posted not to much going on on their sites. 6x6 world is another one as well. Just looking to see what else was out there to help others wasn't looking for any certain type equip. Thanks for the replies I'll check them out.

The only ATV forum I joined was one for Honda ATVs and the in two years since I have never got a reply to my question on an engine problem. I finally found the service manual and repair the problem. So most of the ATVs and UTVs [side by side] I repair is without any help other than the service manuals. I am having depend on my abilities to do these and the patience of the owners as I learn to equipment and buy new service tools. There are days that all I do is think about how to fix an ATV problem; about as bad as when I was learning 2 cycle engines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:02 am

Thinking we are all guilty of that sometime or another if not you will be soon enough.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby okie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:10 pm

No matter which other forum you join........I will only agitate you on this forum.

Remember I could be wrong..... but probably not. :oops:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Only a member of two other but not much seems to go on there on their sites. Last post on one was about 4 months ago and the other has been about a year. Well one other but not much goes on there site either.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion