• Advertisement

HARBOR slow FREIGHT

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

HARBOR slow FREIGHT

Postby stienut13 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi all,

Ordered a HF ultrasonic cleaner on 1.19.14. Several days later I can see it has shipped, but no tracking. I called them on the 23rd and "customer service" said I would have it Saturday the 21st. No suck luck. Called again on the 27th and they fella said I would have it the 28th (yesterday) and he e-mailed me FedExtracking info. It came the 28th.

Now get this: 3 of these things, in their boxes, could have been fit into the shipping box with enough room left over for 2 6-packs. The box had the cleaner unit. 10 small brass brushes, just tossed in loose, and , and, and 24 feet of the large bubble wrap padding. The kind where bubble is about the size of a large ball of pizza dough. No dam wonder it took soooooooooo long.
This is the third time I ordered on line from them. None were pleasant experiences. The first time the way too big box had been broken open and items were missing. The second time, the jumper cables were back-ordered for 4 months. :bricks:

I should have learned my lesson before. Next time, I'll just drive the 18 miles down to the store.

Lesson learned :lol:

Jim
stienut13
Guide

Advertisement

Re: HARBOR slow FREIGHT

Postby Carlw » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:15 am

Just make it a day out of the shop and drive the and drive the 18 miles to the store as you suggested. Not only will it get you out of the shop but maybe your wife would like to go to town also, if you have a wife. If you don't have a wife take the dog with you, they love to ride. Carl
Carlw
Forum Regular

Postby Carlw » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:15 am

Just make it a day out of the shop and drive the 18 miles to the store as you suggested. Not only will it get you out of the shop but maybe your wife would like to go to town also, if you have a wife. If you don't have a wife take the dog with you, they love to ride. Carl
Carlw
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 am

Considering that it was probably shipped from their California warehouse, a week is not bad getting to Florida; especially with all of the ice snow in between.

Normally I if I try to buy something from HFT I prefer putting my hands on it in the store that way can a better decision about it. As online purchases I do a lot extra research and try to buy known good vendors and of course try to stay away from that Chinese sub junk items when ever I can. It not that there is very good items made in China but it is all that is junk make it hard for those that do make good items to sell theirs.

I usually have problems with just about anything HFT has to sell. So basically for myself, I try to stay away from HFT nowadays.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby madmantrapper » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:20 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
I usually have problems with just about anything HFT has to sell. So basically for myself, I try to stay away from HFT nowadays.

Man I'm with you. No luck with most stuff purchased there.
madmantrapper
Guide

Postby bobodu » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:37 pm

I shop there a lot. I would say I am happy 97% of the time. I go through an angle grinder about once a year ($20), won't buy the drills or saws, had to exchange one finish nailer....can't beat the $5 dolly wheels or the dollar cut off disks. Chop saws last about 18 months but I just bought a Mikita.The auto dark welding helmets are a deal. I usually run over them with something....and my dog just ate the last one I bought.... three years ago.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby okie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:45 pm

You are supposed to feed your home work to the dog, not your welding helmet.

Carl could learn something from this too.

Travis :bricks:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby BushBoneYard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm a big HF fan. Only real let down so far has been their batteries, for the price they were "worth the try". I have the $10 grinder, the switch melted on it. I will more than likely opt for a Ryobi next time. I hate to be on one of those guys that says "I got my $10 worth and then some", but I got my $10 worth and then some.

I own two Garden Tractors and two Lawn Tractors and with all the deck cleaning and rust removal I do every season along with other projects I get into now I see the need for a higher quality machine. For a guy that's does a little project here an there it would probably last him a lifetime.
BushBoneYard

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:40 pm

BushBoneYard wrote:I'm a big HF fan. Only real let down so far has been their batteries, for the price they were "worth the try". I have the $10 grinder, the switch melted on it. I will more than likely opt for a Ryobi next time. I hate to be on one of those guys that says "I got my $10 worth and then some", but I got my $10 worth and then some.

I own two Garden Tractors and two Lawn Tractors and with all the deck cleaning and rust removal I do every season along with other projects I get into now I see the need for a higher quality machine. For a guy that's does a little project here an there it would probably last him a lifetime.

If you're looking for higher quality, you probably wont find it in Ridgid or Ryobi - they are both made by TTI in China, probably the same parts and quality as you get from HF.. were it me, I'd pick Makita or DeWalt (and yet, we do Ridgid/Ryobi/Homelite warranty repairs here..)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Greyfox » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:12 pm

The sad reality is that planned obsolescence has become a major part of manufacturing in just about everything nowadays.
Common sense is instinct, enough of it is genius when repairing things.
Briggs and Stratton MST Current
Kohler Expert Tech,
Prochem Tech,
and the guy who's family calls when ANYTHING is broken :bricks:
Greyfox

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion