• Advertisement

Spammers

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Spammers

Postby RoyM » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:21 pm

I see we have nine new posts from the same person touting various offshore products and services. Can we not weed these clowns out or at least banish them to a barren remote island in the south Atlantic?
Last edited by RoyM on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Spammers

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 am

RoyM,

It takes me time to figure out how they are getting pass the security plus I do need to sleep some. They did this twice while I was asleep in the last week. You missed the first 14 threads in the primary forum a few days ago. You also should use the spam reporting feature so the moderators and I are notified of a problem user as they can in sneak at times on forum section that we don't normally watch.

They can be rather good at it at times. Remember all those Kitchen cabinet ads? They were all using disposable email addresses and had different IP addresses. It took several weeks of strengthening the sign up process and blocking known temporary email providers to stop them.

They should be banned this time around. This bunch is out China using a Chinese server. I just blocked the whole source again. I did this a week ago but had a typo in the block setting; actually left out an item. :oops: My fault for doing it in the middle of the night. Anyway I rerouted all those posts to a File 13 cremation site.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Plus Roy I am a little faster at getting these deleted and blocked than the admin over on JSE forum. I have seen spam sit over there for a couple days at a time. And I know of several spam threads that has been posted there for over 4 days now.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm

I am a moderator on JSE, I know what you mean. We just have to stay on top ofit the best we can. I was curious if there is a filtering software available.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 pm

It depends what software JSE is running as there might an off the shelf script software that can handle a lot it. But here it is more of a hands on approach. The latest round is coming from the qq.com server. Last year it was the ru site out of Russia.

Anyway it can be a challenge to stop them in their tracks as they are constant adapting to the change. Basically it is one type of war. I had one guy that was changing only one letter in his email address to bypass my blocks. It took me a while to catch on to what he was doing.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Yes being seeing them here myself and was going to post something about them. Anyways what is jse? Sorry Don't mean to high jack just wondering.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:15 pm

There's a fine line between locking things down so spammers can't script their way in, and making it next to impossible for ordinary folks to register and log in.

pretty much Anything a person can do on a computer, can be scripted into an automated "bot" program - even CAPTCHA / Turing numbers won't slow down the pro spammers - they hire out people from third world countries for pennies, and those "workers" do nothing all day but monitor the bot scripts and punch in the CAPTCHA numbers...

Only real way to combat it is to try and stay on top of it and remove/block/ban as KE4 has been doing.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Luffydog wrote:Yes being seeing them here myself and was going to post something about them. Anyways what is jse? Sorry Don't mean to high jack just wondering.

Jack's Small Engines
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Boy I feeling like a dummy now haha thanks :lol: :lol:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby tuffnell » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:21 pm

It's a tough job, but you guys are doing a good job on those spammers. :D