• Advertisement

Departure 12/31/2018

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Departure 12/31/2018

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Gentlemen,

Please be aware that I am leaving this site as of 12/31/2018 as the administrator. I got to focus on more pressing things like my health.

This site will need a new administrator so if any of the current member are interested in volunteering to be the new administrator please contact bgsengine via PM. He can let you know what would be needed to done. Hopefully the new administrator can host the existing files I have linked to my Google Drive by copying them their online drive so I can set my drive back to private.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Departure 12/31/2018

Postby RoyM » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Sorry to see you go but your health comes first. All the best in the future and keep in touch with us.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Yeah. had a talk today with another shop owner - much younger than I (and I been referring business his way) and it just seems, the old farts like us that have been in the business many years are fading away.. very few youngsters coming in to replace us.. all anyone wants to do any more it seems is just sell new stuff.. Kind of came to the realization some time ago when I started realizing the big three (Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo) were actually reaching the point they'd sign up pretty much anybody with the money to layout and a warm body to attend factory school.. especially on one relatively short road trip I made earlier in the spring, and counted a whopping SIX new Husqvarna dealerships just on the one route we took (2 hour drive) .. seems that's the modern day strategy with manufacturers any more - Sign em up, stock em with a pile of goods, and let em take their chances.. every few years there's another one on the next corner to take a stab at it after the previous guys give up.. Even seeing Stihl in Hardware Stores was a shock.. but seems to be becoming the norm.. all the manufacturers need is a place to sell their stuff, and once in a while do a warranty repair (or just replace the old with a new one)

As far as the forums and adminstrator issue goes, if we can't find a new administrator to run things I may just put the domain (and website) up for auction.. as it is, it's just been a labor of love (in 5 years, have made perhaps $400 out of the google ads that run on here, so it definitely isn't a profitable venture!) So we'd definitely like to see someone step up , but meanwhile I can try and keep things running as long as possible... but can't guarantee anything.. Unfortunately it just seems the entire OPE industry is on the way down the toilet as far as actually repairing anything any more.. anybody with a few basic tools can swap out a carb or a coil or other simple maintenance without really needing to know the science behind how to really fix 'em.. just swap out a module with a new one until things work right.. or toss it in the landfill and buy a new one.. which pretty much makes a place like this a thing of the past...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 pm

It is sad. I am currently mentoring a young fellow is full of ambition, works hard and is eager to learn, this industry is really struggling to attract people like him. Here in the north, the work is seasonal and doesn't pay worth a darn. I expect the southern shops would be busier year round.
I started full time in 1975, then there was a shop on every corner and throats were being cut. Anybody with a garage could hang a Briggs, Tecumseh, or Kohler sign and advertise in the yellow pages. Eventually the distributors tightened up and quit dealing directly with the fly by nighters. Now it seems to have returned to those days.
As you say so much of it so much is component change or replace the tool. The shop I am working with does not have the tools or knowledge to rebore, grind valves or install guides. There is no longer demand, just replace a head, shortblock or drop in an engine. 2 stroke which I liked is a thing of the past.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Hopefully you will make an appearance once in a while.
All the best, Hanz
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Gonna be missed for sure thanks for all the help In the past. Hope to see you from time to time which I think we will and your just stepping down for a break and to focus on your health. Good luck and hope you regain your health and you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:11 am

I pretty much closed up shop when I started having to contemplate signwaves and magnahertzs... :roll:
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby okie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Good luck Eugene
I appreciate all the help
Over the years.
I understand bad health
Just discovered wife has
Cancer. On Hospice now
Travis (okie)
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:46 am

Sorry to hear about that Travis. I have lost family members both quickly and the slow way neither of them are easy to deal with and for me has left huge holes in my life. If wan't for my work keeping me busy and keeping my mind off things I probably would have lost it. First was my self father in '72 of apparent heart attack, then my baby brother in '92 from propane inhaling, and finally my mother in '13 from dementia. My other brother is still living as far as I know but he is not on speaking terms and is at an unknown location now. He appears to be blaming me for our mother's death among other things so I am basically alone now. At least my pets are keeping me company as I learn to live by myself.

Take care and keep your friends close as they will help you through what is coming.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby DennyIN » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:18 am

I stay in the shadows as I have little to contribute and much to learn. I want to say Thank You for all the help you have given to so many, and the sacrifices you have made to keep this site what it is. Wishing you the best and take care of yourself.
DennyIN

Next

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion