• Advertisement

Suspicious site???

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Suspicious site???

Postby RoyM » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:31 pm

I attempted to log on, got a message from McAfee that this a suspicious site. It asked me if I wanted to continue which of course I did. First time I have seen that regarding any site.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Suspicious site???

Postby okie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:03 pm

RoyM wrote:I attempted to log on, got a message from McAfee that this a suspicious site. It asked me if I wanted to continue which of course I did. First time I have seen that regarding any site.

I haven't had that happen either. I use Panda AV and it don't protest about this site or any other site.
I've had my suspicions about some of the members for a while. :mrgreen:

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Certain ads - especially flash ads (even though they come from Google) can trip antivirus alerts. They just look and see that it is a flash ad pulled in with javascript from a remotely hosted site - I get that every now and then in most any place that runs Google Adsense, and Yahoo Ad Network ads (now Bing) I think it has more to do with tracking cookies than with any issue with the ad itself. Lot of people using Firefox have Adblock installed anyway which strips out the ads. :)

*EDIT* - after yet another mention of similar problems, went back and reviewed Adsense settings, and found a whole pile of settings I *thought* had been disallowed (Must have defaulted when setting up the new site) - so it is now set to display *only* text ads (Though some may be enhanced with images) but no flash, and a whole bunch of categories (politics, religion, etc.) were eliminated, so I suspect there should be no further issues.

Please let me know if there's any more that do, and if possible, try and see what the ad content is...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby DeclansDad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:52 pm

I hope this isn't violating the rules here, but I stopped a bunch of stuff from popping up on the news sites I visit, etc. with an addition onto my Google Chrome called "Ghostery" I didn't know if that will remedy the advertisements that trigger this message from Google??? If mentioning the Google extension violates rules here (I don't think it does) I apologize.
DeclansDad

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48 pm

DeclansDad wrote:I hope this isn't violating the rules here, but I stopped a bunch of stuff from popping up on the news sites I visit, etc. with an addition onto my Google Chrome called "Ghostery" I didn't know if that will remedy the advertisements that trigger this message from Google??? If mentioning the Google extension violates rules here (I don't think it does) I apologize.

No problem - I already mentioned Adblock for Firefox.. LOL! However, I don't use it - I use FLashBlock which blocks all Flash from loading unless explicitly permitted with a click, along with NoScript which goes further and blocks JavaScript from being loaded too, unless specifically permitted.. (Long ago, most of the forum software out there, even pay-for versions, along with many blogs and other software, could be injected with Javascript - when hackers learned how to use JavaScript to install viruses and spyware without you even realizing it, it really became a problem.. It is that form of JavaScript and Flash loading Ads from third party websites (That is, ad comes from Google, but ad tries to load content from a non-google website, which could be *anything*) is what triggers those "suspicious Site" alerts. :)

I brought back some of the flash and JS ads, after figuring that out, and disallowing Third Party ads being served, which should take care of THAT issue.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion