• Advertisement

Cedar Waxwing

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Cedar Waxwing

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:43 pm

In my 60+ yrs it the first time I seen one and it had to be dead. I hope I get see and hear them alive here soon. Very nice looking bird.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Cedar Waxwing

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi KE4

Those birds are winter visitors out here in Southern Alberta. The come in flocks of 20 to 50 and they love cotoneaster berries. We have a few cotoneaster bushes and one cotoneaster hedge that are usually loaded with berries in the fall. The leaves fall off leaving just the berries. Those birds will swoop down into a bush as a flock, feed for 30 seconds to a minute then fly off again softly whistling to each other all the time. We only ever trim the hedge and the bushes in the spring so they can still flower and produce berries for these birds to feed on in the winter. Stay warm,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby RoyM » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:49 pm

They are common here in southern British Columbia as well.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:38 am

What I can find they use Canada as breeding area but I on right on the edge of their normal yearly range and they have been found as far South as Costa Rica during their non breeding season. With this I would have they to be a migrate bird. Strange that I never seen one before.

Ops I better be quite as our head nuts would be calling out the immigration police on them for non having US visas and want them deported. :lol: Sorry just had to joke about that one. I do have an opinion of the current polities but I won't discuss that online.

So far the only migratory bird that is a pest here is the black birds and they wouldn't so much if they just quieter. I have to run them off with bottle rockets besides everytime they show up my chickens get sick with the flu.

I bet Bruce would have enjoyed knowing I seen one since he is a bird watcher.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion