• Advertisement

It's been many years since I've been here.

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

It's been many years since I've been here.

Postby Bob O » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:11 am

It's been many years since I've been here but back to tinkering on my own stuff.
My question, is it worth rebuilding a carb on say toro snowblower and powermate edger or just buy the whole carburetor?
If it's buy the carb, any manufacture/supplier to look for or avoid?

Thanks,
Bob O.
Bob O

Advertisement

Re: It's been many years since I've been here.

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:00 am

I prefer to rework the OEM carbs myself but I also do it on a weekly basis so I have plenty of experience at doing it. Yes you can just replace the carburetor if low enough in cost but I avoid the Chinese clones with a passion as I had a lot trouble with them. I do here they have improved considerably but I still avoid them.

To me an ultrasonic cleaner is key to a good cleaning of the carburetors; although, the old fashion dip works on most except the cube and rotary carburetors. You just have to remove all rubber parts when using the dip cleaners.

When reworking some carburetors you need make up your own kit from individual parts from the OEM like Kawasaki. Since I don't many Toro mower except the one with Kawasaki engine I don't really know what is out there parts-wise. Others here will probably know more as to what is out there.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Bob O » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 am

Thank you but I assumed all the carbs came from China. This assumption may be incorrect since I've never purchased a new one, only rebuilt them.
Bob O

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:59 am

The true Nikki carburetors are from Japan. Walbro can be from about anywhere including Haiti depending which carburetor it is, Zama is about the same as Walbro with most being made in the Far East now,and then MTD carburetors which are mostly Chinese as is some Toro carburetors. Quality control is what the OEMs have to their advantage over the after market suppliers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:22 am

I buy a new carb for anything worth less than $150 retail...No reason to waste the time to repair a carb and spend the cost of a new one for a kit..a tractor, motorcycle or outboard is different. I bought a $15 Chi-nese carb for a Stihl saw that included fuel lines, air filter and spark plug and have been using it for two years now.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Bob O » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:39 am

Thank you.
Any supplier recommendation one way or the other?
Bob O

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:22 am

bobodu wrote:I buy a new carb for anything worth less than $150 retail...No reason to waste the time to repair a carb and spend the cost of a new one for a kit..a tractor, motorcycle or outboard is different. I bought a $15 Chi-nese carb for a Stihl saw that included fuel lines, air filter and spark plug and have been using it for two years now.

You were lucky in my opinion as the last 5 aftermarket carburetors that I brought for Stihl machines all failed out of the box. I ended having buy new ones from Stihl as they will no produce the repair kits even though they publish the kit PNs.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion