• Advertisement

Programmer do screw up sometimes.

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Programmer do screw up sometimes.

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 03, 2020 8:13 am

Boy when a programmer screws up they can really make a mess of your data files. A recent program update really screw-up my inventory files. I went from 45K in retail inventory to 750K. It all because he was recalculating the stock movements. Now I got deleted items going all the way back to 2014. And his cure would be even worst possibly so I am manually redoing my inventory. Even then I having to run an error correction as it throws even more errors. Programmer and I have been at this for over a week now. Going back and forth. First he tried blaming it on my network since I had been using Wifi but I switched 6 month ago to hardwired version. After about 4 days he finally admitted it was his screw-up as other reports started coming in.

He got me to send my stock movement file to him and he found that over half of my stock movement records got deleted by his subroutine. Some were incoming but most were outgoing.

But at least we got it figured out now so it is just a matter taking long time finding all the screwed up stock movement records. For me it just a major pain redoing the physical inventory that I just completed back February. Now I got to do all again, this time while running the shop at full steam otherwise.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Programmer do screw up sometimes.

Postby bgsengine » Sun May 03, 2020 8:43 am

Yeah. computers are stupid.. they do EXACTLY what the programmer tells them to do..... nothing more, nothing less.. and if they aren't explicit, computers do not have the ability to assume, so all kinds of weird stuff get to happen then.. In other words.. if a computer does something wrong (other than hardware failure) it IS a programmer's fault... Trying to blame it on Wi-Fi is just an admission that he didn't program it right.. either block the ability to use Wi_Fi, if you think it might affect your program's operation, or make sure your program runs correctly on Wi-Fi.. failure to do either is the programmer's fault.. So.. it's still their fault :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 03, 2020 10:47 am

On the Wi-fi I was working at the max range and I did have one AP unit to fail but it in the middle of the night and didn't affect anything. It actually lost the transmitter power amp so it only affected outgoing data. I now got a couple 1/4 mile units but they must programmed by smart phone which I don't have so I went with a 225 ft Cat 6 double shielded cable.

I just found one of the major SKU screw-ups so I am now down to 66K. Now I feel a little better what I actually have as I am closer to the 40K-45K that I had in February.

What difference but I am not going to drive links on that sharp saw chain rolls I have. The system had me having a 1,632 rolls of 100 ft chain. I just reset it to 1. I will Zero them out when I finish up the rolls. Still got a lot in house inventory to go through. Some the items I know are not there as they are recent sales like the IH parts and Hustler parts so are give me on zeroing them out.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Mon May 04, 2020 5:34 am

They same type of brains are trying to rake my money to stop climate change...love computer based modeling...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion