• Advertisement

Potential Briggs Bankruptcy

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Potential Briggs Bankruptcy

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:48 am

Gentlemen, There looks to be a good chance that bankruptcy is in Briggs and Stratton near future. Last I went through the parts delivery problems which seem to have resolve themselves but the deliveries are getting slow to ship again.

Here is the new article link.

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2020/07/10/uncertain-future-for-briggs-stratton-with-potent.html
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Potential Briggs Bankruptcy

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 am

I'm not even surprised.. I think I called that several months ago.. writing was on the wall even then.. and I'd not be surprised to see more of the same within the industry as people start going to hiring lawn care contractors or using battery powered equipment.. and the remaining DIY'ers that can afford it will go for the high-end high quality stuff.. the low-price cheapo consumer units will end up becoming "loss leader" sales, and poorer quality.. and with the improving quality of some of the china clone brands (Notably HF Predator engines) with their much lower price point, I just can't really see as there is much remaining market for consumer level engines from the Big Two (Formerly Big Three before Tecumseh went down the toilet) - Briggs & Kohler - So if Briggs is gonna hope to remain viable in the long-term, they need to cut into Kohler/Kawasaki market share on the commercial side of things and develop new high-end markets at premium margins, instead of trying to rejuvenate declining brands by slapping a former quality-name on an MTD unit...

were I to offer up advice for service shops that have a heavily consumer clientele, I'd strongly suggest starting to develop your own sources for service parts for china-clone engines & equipment (and complete engines for re-power projects) and take the time to figure out your cross reference compatibility on parts... and then, diversify your business away from consumer gas powered lawn & garden repairs, 'cause eventually I really do think that sort of market will fall to the purview of the hobbyist or small-scale (under the table) shops, as there just won't be enough volume of work to sustain a full time professional operation on consumer product repairs alone..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:21 am

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:34 am

38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:21 am

Saw a Facebook ad for a 42 inch TV...the guy wanted $200 for it !!! Jes sayin'
The demand for cheap goods are part of human nature.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:59 am

Its criminal on how they give out cash retention awards for certain executive officers and other key employees during all this mess.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:11 am

bobodu wrote:Saw a Facebook ad for a 42 inch TV...the guy wanted $200 for it !!! Jes sayin'

Funny thing is, those same people that don't want to spend more than $99 on a new lawnmower, and expect me to fix their $69 box-store trimmer for $20, are the same ones that don't think twice about spending $1,200 on a brand new phone or $8,000 on a new ATV.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:00 am

bgsengine wrote:
bobodu wrote:Saw a Facebook ad for a 42 inch TV...the guy wanted $200 for it !!! Jes sayin'

Funny thing is, those same people that don't want to spend more than $99 on a new lawnmower, and expect me to fix their $69 box-store trimmer for $20, are the same ones that don't think twice about spending $1,200 on a brand new phone or $8,000 on a new ATV.

That's why I believe in Karma . We can never change these people but Karma might show its face ;) ;)
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby RoyM » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:27 am

It is all about priorities. A lawwnmower or trimmer is a necessary evil, the atv or boat is a manly toy.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 pm

KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion