• Advertisement

Another corporate tactic getting started

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Another corporate tactic getting started

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:55 am

Well I have went corporate downsizing and bank mergers galore. But now corporation are pulling the same thing as our local government have been doing for years. That is charging a surcharge for the use of credit cards.

First here was Gardner which offered plans but refused to switch me from the credit card payment system. At least Gardner sent me an email about the charges; RBI didn't. I found out by clicking on their credit policy link this morning.

Now just today I found out that RBI is starting October 1 is charging a 1.5% convenience fee for me to use the credit card. Hopefully they are more friendly about getting me switch over to ACH payments. Debit cards might be a way to go but they are dangerous to have as the user is responsible for any fraudulent charge until we can prove me didn't make those charges where a credit card will give you a provisional credit while they investigate the questionable charges. This is why I don't have a debit card in my procession and decline them when offered one. I had a Visa CC for nearly 30 yrs and had it numbers stolen 3 times. Recently my Credit Union was sold and the new owners have switch me to a MasterCard, low interest card.

An example this having most your money withdrawn via Debit Card is like a customer of mine. His wife got a Debit Card so they could go on a trip to Florida. They ended having the debit info stolen while there and now on the hook for over $4000.00 until they can prove they didn't make the charges. My account would have been wiped out if that happen to me.

Gardner is currently serving a six month purchase suspension because their refusal to do what they said they would do. Everytime I go place an order they want to automatically charge my CC and don't give me the option of paying by ACH. Another vendor is already 3 months in on their suspension but that was refusing to contact me for over three weeks and the when they did they start off by lying to me. Their items have now been mostly replaced by other vendor's parts.

This having to pay upfront by bank draft is going to be rough for awhile until I get things switched around as to have a reserve in my bank account to replace the monthly credit card line of credit.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Another corporate tactic getting started

Postby Gerry » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:34 am

Yea gotta watch em......I logged in to pay Gardner last month with my debit card, my bill was $427.xx and when I got down to the pay button I noticed I was being charged a $6.41 convenience fee.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Okay another lie by Gardner then as they told me Debit cards were exempt from the fee back in August.

Just this week someone from Gardner called, let the phone ring 3x and hung up as I pickup the phone.

Oh well they have lost 1,500+ in sells since August 1st because of their failure to switch me over to ACH payments. RBI switched over to a very similar plan October 1 but I had no problems getting switched over to ACH payments via Codis.

Here is an extract from the July 29, 2021 email from Travis Scott that Debit cards were exempt. As he noted for my Sales rep to get involved but he was of no help either.

Eugene –

Good morning.

As stated in the communication that was distributed, we have workarounds in place to try and avoid the 1.5% surcharge fee.
ACH / EFT is an option, I can provide you with our banking information and it would work as any other electronic transaction.
Also, debit cards are exempt from the fee, I don’t know in what manner you currently pay?

I have also included Bob Williams (your sales rep), in this email for him to assist you in any way he can moving forward.

Travis Scott

Gardner Inc.
Corporate Credit Manager
3641 Interchange Rd.
Columbus, OH 43204

Direct: 614.456.3470
Fax: 614.456.3473
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:15 pm

years ago I thought that the agreement between sellers and CC companies prevented them from charging the buyer a fee. CC companies didn't want people discouraged from using their cards
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:38 am

wasn't just that agreement, I think it actually used to be a law, at least in USA. That was rolled back several years ago. Bear in mind the CC processors charge the merchant a fee , on top of monthly minimums, maintenance fees, account fees, (like any bank - they got fees out the wazoo) So, when you accept a credit card you are paying anywhere from 1 to 3 percent of your profits to the CC company on each transaction... Way back before the rule was dropped or legislated away, merchants used to actually jack up their prices a little bit, and then offer a discount at the register when paying cash. which amounted to the same thing. (they just were not allowed to advertise it, hence the sign only found at the register such as "2% cash discount when paying cash" or some such)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 am

38racing wrote:years ago I thought that the agreement between sellers and CC companies prevented them from charging the buyer a fee. CC companies didn't want people discouraged from using their cards

Well I know MasterCard just lost around 2K in transactions per month from me.

Apparently companies are now taking up the government habits of charging fees. What next charging fees to accept Federal Reverse notes which some companies already refuse to accept as payment method. I just wonder if they accept good looks as payment? :lol: But of course I don't have good looks either. :shock:

Just think these companies are extra greedy in one sense. Now I don't accept credit cards or debit cards for one reason and that is I can't justify the monthly equipment expense because I am so small.

What happening here because of this is the Chinese are getting more orders for parts. Although the mainland Chinese has apparently stop several the Hong Kong companies from operating their businesses. I haven't got a single response from DC Spares in months even through the website is still up. No replies to emails, actually getting undelivered email errors.

Briggs 793880 camshafts being on back order since April is not good either. I had to install 4 Chinese made camshafts which required reworks. And Power Distributors has been down for a week now. Suppose to have been back up Friday as they change software used. Just shutting down every Briggs dealer that needs parts. Using my last 797880 carb kit this week and down to my last 691917 intake o-ring. Just can't keep repairing their equipment if no parts are available.

One benefit from this has been me crossing parts so I am cutting my costs anyways. I just replaced a bushing on a Husqvarna mower with one from JD at about a 2/3 of the cost plus I replaced the throttle knob for about $10 less (customer cost) with a JD part. Also replaced a JD coupler for about half the cost; same part just a different JD PN. Charged the customer $20 less and still made the same profit.

I am so glad it is near the end of the mowing season now as getting parts is getting worst. Briggs was taking a month to deliver many of the parts before Power Distributors went down and now several of my Kawasaki parts are on a month long back order. It is the same with Husqvarna and MTD too. So if the distributor has the parts on hand when I place an order, I order extra ahead of time.

With 700,000 + dead many of which were the ones that actually did the work out the workforce isn't helping. We got to get people off the couches and back to work. Many are just refusing to work especially the younger ones. They rather cut lawns and report no income; therefore, pay no taxes. What they call working under the table.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:14 am

Well after 7 months I finally got Gardner to switch me over to where I can pay from my bank account. Talk about a slow boat from China. They only lost half of their sales to me last year.

Boy is their online payment system setup just to collect the fee they apply to CC payments thru Codis. I see why Gerry got charge for using his Debit card as it treats all cards as credit cards and doesn't allow for debit or electronic checks either. So they are getting the old fashion check in the mail from my bank system. Takes three business days for one to be issued and then of course there is snail mail involved. I am looking at around a week to get an invoice paid if I am lucky.

The problem now is with a $1000 credit line I can run into problems with my business exceeding the credit line while checks are being mailed and processed. What I will need to do is to limit my purchases through Gardner at times of high order volumes and put them through RBI which does use Codis with electronic check payments. I could have lived with a credit line as low as $500 if they had allowed for electronic checks.

Their system is also weird as it charges you freight even on over $200 orders and then wants to credit you those charges when you pay by credit card. Whoever setup the program was just following corporate orders. Well either way I sent a payment with those shipping removed as I know the order was to have free shipping or at least I consider a $206 with all shipping being allowable order to larger than $200. I will see if they will still insist on the shc charges.

I am curious as how to post invoices that I receive with shipping charges billed. Should I just post the shipping charges as if I paid them even though I didn't and then deduct them off my taxes.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion