• Advertisement

Big Box vs OPE Dealer

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Big Box vs OPE Dealer

Postby Dale_W » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:35 am

Hi All
It seems common these days for the big box stores to carry a name brand (Ariens, Toro etc) but it is a cheaper line than what you can get at an OPE dealer.

It's time for me to buy the Mrs. a new lawn mower. We have about 1/2 acre, and Toro Personal Pace mowers have been great for us for many many years.

On the Toro site, I see model #21464. Personal Pace, but with electric start.

Oddly enough, the big orange store has the exact same model number on their website. Is it the same mower? or can Toro build a cheaper big box model and give it the same model number?

Thanks
Dale_W
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Big Box vs OPE Dealer

Postby RoyM » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:23 pm

It will be the same mower. Of course you get it in a box from the mass retailer, some assembly required. If it works properly great but if it needs adjustments (almost certainly will) or repairs (nothing is perfect) you will have to find a warranty service dealer who will do it. Ariens is a little different. The box store product is rebadged Husqvarna and nowhere the quality of their own offerings. Can you tell I am a veteran of the servicing dealers? Lol.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:35 pm

if you are shopping for price, then may as well buy big box and run it til it quits, toss it and buy another - It's cheaper than getting them fixed these days. However if you want something solid, reliable and that can (with good maintenance habits) last you long enough it may be the last one you ever buy, then you won't find them in consumer models - You'd have to step up to a commercial model (and typically they are hydrostatic drive, electric start, and extremely robust, and usually 26 to 30 inch cut), or Honda, if you can find a honda dealer (and dont get them with the GC engines, get the GX engines - GC= Consumer level, and while they are usually pretty reliable, they just don't hold up as well) - pretty much any more, any new current model consumer level push mower under $300 that you buy is gonna be built by MTD products, or made in china. (husqvarna has exited the consumer models business - what was formerly AYP/Roper and/or Poulan-Weedeater, is no longer being built, last I knew of, which leaves just MTD as the last factory standing in box-store consumer model business, other than "off-brand" china models)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:23 pm

I used to see enough of the steel deck Toros that had been damaged when they were in the crate back when we serviced for Depot. So watch that box edge. Husqvarna sold their WPM business to a company in Mexico .
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Dale_W » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:39 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Good to hear the same model is indeed at the big box stores. I like to support the smaller guy, but also I know if I don't buy one when I find one I might be out of luck.

Thanks too for the tip about damaged decks.

How about them new engines where you never change oil? Just top them off. Yikes.
Dale_W
Guide

Postby RoyM » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:17 pm

It is a sales gimmick. The manufacturers know the majority of home owners don't service their mowers so most are due to be replaced within 5 years. The deck is rusted through and the wheels are wobbling so the rest of the machine won't outlast the engine.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion