• Advertisement

Paypal problem

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Paypal problem

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:24 pm

Boy I am having lots and lots of fun (not) trying to get where I can log into my Paypal account. I can't get it through their thick skulls that I don't have a mobile (cell) phone. All I got is a landline. Currently I can't get pass the fixed requirement for something I don't have. Paypal customer service is a joke too. I have called multiple times today and gotten no where so far. Currently I have been on hold for an hour.

I needing to update my banking info as I closed the account linked to the Paypal account.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Paypal problem

Postby bgsengine » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:07 pm

might have to bite the bullet and get a cheap prepaid plan, I believe you can get a fairly cheap ($59?) flip phone with a $18 monthly plan at tracfone that will be good enough for once-in-a-while text messages , and long as you keep the monthly (or, if you just go buy prepaid cards good for 90 days, quarterly) to keep the number active, it can do the job. I got a straight talk phone from walmart and a $35/month plan - but then it is a smartphone, runs my square, venmo, paypal payment apps, lets me check emails and other stuff besides just SMS
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:12 am

I finally got it figured out.

Boy their support should have know this instead of trying to make me jump through hoops and pissing me off. Last night I decided to just enter the landline number. First time the callback failed but I tried a second time it accepted what PayPal wanted to unlock my account and I didn't have to save the number either so no harassing phone calls to be expected. Why in the Heck PayPal locked my account I don't know other than just wanting to be a PITA.

What is strange is how the incoming call IDed. It said "SPAM RISK" and I almost didn't answer it as I been so many of them from different numbers including faked local numbers. All of them is about Medicare insurance plans and burial insurance.

PayPal support is a real pain to deal with and apparently not very knowledgeable about their system. What did I expect out of a bunch of foreigners?

I would have cell phone but there is no point in having one here as the service simply doesn't exist at the home or the shop. Verizon is putting up a tower here but it will be 6 months to a year before it is in operation. I think they only putting it up to support the local electric company that reads and controls out power and water meters via the cell system now.

Now I do have a LG GS170 phone here that I use the camera for taking snap shots ID tags but it is a T-Mobile phone and they simply don't service my area either.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bertsmobilerepairs » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:48 pm

A bit old but I feel worth posting.
I am a strong believer in cyber security
Now days I can not even access any level of government unless I have a cell phone
So I bought a very cheap sim only plan ( $ 120 Aus/ year ) + a used phone .
When I need a phone number I use that one and when I have finished doing whatever needed to be done, I take the sim card out & turn off the phone .
When I go away for more than a day I put the sim back in , plug the phone into the charger and go away.
Thus if any criminal is tracking the phone number it will appear that I am at home .
Naturally when I get back I hit the "delete all " then turn the phone off.
It is staggering the number of spam phone calls this card gets .
In theory it is a cost I should not have to pay but if you consider it as security then it is the price of a top line padlock .
On the same line of thought , the email address I used to join here is a throw away and after the account was authenticated, the "rules" were turned back on and every email went directly into the trash folder which gets automatically deleted when 1 month old .
bertsmobilerepairs

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:33 am

Heads up folks. The IRS is now requiring PayPal to payments of $600 or per via 1099 forms. I personally don't how I how handle this as some of my clients pay via PayPal but I invoice via in house accounting and have always reported the income via normal business operations.

Now I wonder if I have create set of books just for these clients? I call one of my customers that handle taxes and see what says next week.

Of course me and the IRS are still having problems about my account as they screwed it up a few years ago and so I have yet to receive any of the stimulus money or any normal refunds. Even the IRS tax advocacy group will not respond to my letters so I reckon I just file this coming year and send no payment as they owe me.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:16 pm

No, you don't need separate books. The 1099 reporting is total gross sales , INCLUDING sales taxes, shipping, and so on - every penny of it , and does not deduct refunds or such - So you DO have to record every penny (even that which is immediately refunded) - Generally my total gross sales volume would exceed any 1099 reported income , the IRS generally would assume you were reporting your 1099'ed stuff as part of your total gross, and generally assumes you can record or account for every penny that ISN'T income (such as paypal fees, refunds, and so on) - In short if an audit of your record keeping can account for every penny you show as income , and account for every expense or cost, you're just fine (unless of course they notice a Lamborghini parked in your driveway, then they'd wonder how you afford it on 250K a year gross income at 10% net profit margin)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:20 am

What you are saying is long as I have a lot fake records and a Delorean with a flux capacitor I can get by like DJT does...

Oh I did have billed the customer under his name but he paid thru his youth camp PayPal account.

Anyway the IRS is so far behind now adding tons of even paper work is just going to bury them. Heck I still awaiting to have my 1040s for the last three years to be processed. And I am unable to even get them to correct the spelling of my name. Since they owe me they are in no big hurry at all to pay but they sure start threatening when you owe them. But that misspelling might just keep me out of trouble as opening government mail not addressed to you is a crime. BTW there are taxpayers still waiting just last year refunds and IRS is now telling them not count on getting them anytime soon.

Even wrote to their Taxpayer Advocacy center twice along sending the 911 form both times with no response. The first time was six months ago and they they will respond within 30 days. The last time was two months ago...Still waiting. Tax season is coming up soon and if no response by then I just file and send no payment. Probably all hell will break loose then.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:15 pm

Speak of the devil and the Advocacy center called late Tuesday. The lady said thought she it straighten out until I verified my name which the IRS is still miss spelling. She said don't on a refund this year but maybe early next year. I wouldn't believe until I see it myself after fighting three years.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:30 pm

Just got a Paypal payment when I checked in I was greeted with a message that if I have not provided my tax number by 2024 any payments of/over $600.00 24% will be held for the IRS until I file a 1099K form I think. Dont know that I will supply any numbers. Maybe start getting a down payment or go to strictly cash and check. I thought them 84000 new agent we hired were to go after big dogs.
Gerry
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:31 pm

Gerry wrote:Just got a Paypal payment when I checked in I was greeted with a message that if I have not provided my tax number by 2024 any payments of/over $600.00 24% will be held for the IRS until I file a 1099K form I think. Dont know that I will supply any numbers. Maybe start getting a down payment or go to strictly cash and check. I thought them 84000 new agent we hired were to go after big dogs.

Yup, I no longer use paypal to take payments any longer, I do use Venmo and Square, but even those will require a tax ID number when your payments for the year exceed $600. Yes, the dumbocrats passed a bill to do with something else, and snuck in that requirement that all payment processors report payments over $600 in total for the year (It used to be $20,000 or 200 transactions) they waived it for 2023 but now I believe it kicks in in 2024 unless republicans roll it back.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion