• Advertisement

EPA and Landfills

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

EPA and Landfills

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:14 am

Greetings All

Over the past few years I've seen more and more hand held equipment coming from the factory with no air filter. Most of this equipment has been dusted and is beyond economical repair after only two seasons or so. Whereas it's not unusual to see equipment with air filters lasting ten or more seasons. Now come my question.

The EPA is getting their fingers into everything we do and seems to be cracking down on small engine equipment with some almost unobtainable emission standards. Does the EPA give a rats behind about how much junk gets dumped into our landfills and how much pollution other countries produce? Here's my thinking.

By building equipment without air filters, this equipment is only lasting one fifth the time of equipment with air filters. In order to replace this cheep built equipment, the Chinese are burning vast quantities of diesel fuel in their generators to power their factories. This adds to global pollution and drives the price of diesel up at the pumps for everyone else.

If the EPA, instead of tripping over a dollar to pick up a dime, would simply mandate that all hand held equipment be fitted with an air filter, tens of thousands fewer pieces of equipment would need to be produced every year thus saving fuel and landfill space. Any thoughts or ideas on this line of thinking are more than welcome,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: EPA and Landfills

Postby bobodu » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:27 am

"John Kerry makes climate change a 'top-tier diplomatic priority"
Who the hell cares? I guess the whole world is so safe we need to worry more about faked data.
The White House Initiative On Climate Change says.... QUOTE..."Global surface temperature has been measured since 1880 at a network of ground-based and ocean-based sites. Over the last century, the average surface temperature of the Earth has increased by about 1 F."
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: EPA and Landfills

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:20 am

It just doesn't any sense does it? I think all of us actually did are our part of trying to keep our environment cleaner it would be. I hear a lot talk about it but very little actually get done.

The overall problem is the manufactures are cutting every corner to save a penny and make an extra penny. The generation that has taken over don't care if things last any longer than their stated warranty period. The way they see it they are not making money; unless, they are constantly selling new products. They are produced so cheaply that the factory won't even provide parts for some models.

The ones made in China are mass produce for a very short time and they change to a new version by re-tooling the factories. When they do this the old manufacturing equipment is probably destroyed in favor of the new equipment.

What's worse is that manufactures are not the only ones to blame in this. The end user is just as much to blame. They are buying cheap junk equipment and complain about it. What do they when it breaks? They just go out and buy another piece of junk which just re-enforces the manufactures thinking. Most of the end users here seems to be only thinking about today and not the future.

Here I had been to my local landfill. They are least trying by government regulation recycling about 1/3 of what comes in. All large pieces equipment and automobile batteries sent to the recyclers. I don't why they even get batteries especially with the large core charges the end-user pays and can re-claim. All brush and trees are mulched or chipped and sent to nurseries and paper mills. There is quiet a bit that could be recycle that still gets simply buried.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion