• Advertisement

Question...

This is the forum for talking about everything else not related to small engines or outdoor power equipment. - It's the "Coffee Shop" of the PPTEN. Please refrain from discussing Politics or Religion.

Question...

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 am

I just wanted to ask the members opinions on dealing with questions from other sorts of equipment and machinery (Sort of Seasonal / Satellite /Sidelines for some dealers and techs.)

We also do service on Power Tools (Corded and Cordless) and Supplemental Heating (Kerosene heaters, Forced Air "barrel" heaters - AKA Salamander /Bullet / Torpedo / Reddy Heaters) and wondered if there might be any interest or desire on the part of membership to deal with such topics (In a separate forum of course)

The risk is in trying to cover so many different product lines and topics that issues or problems can have some "spill over"..

So, I wonder if we should officially avoid such topics, or "give 'er a try" in a separate sub-forum.. or should such questions be directed to some other forum specializing in those sorts of issues? (and if so, anybody got links to them?)

Thoughts?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Advertisement

Re: Question...

Postby okie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 pm

I think it would be worth a shot. The mods might have to move things around to keep them in the proper forum. Bobodu needs the work. :D
We have some pretty sharp people on this forum. I think they could handle it. And what do we have to lose? :o

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Don't have any opposing opinion..and that's rare in this hope and change world.... :?
The worst that can happen is it just sits there like the restoration forums.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby fixer5000 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:41 am

being one of those guys who isnt afraid to tackle most anything im all for it. if it doesnt work then drop it
" GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "
fixer5000

Postby Az Shadeguy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:28 pm

I think it would be a good idea. I don,t work on to many heaters here in Arizona but I do a lot of electric tools
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby NevadaWalrus » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:54 pm

I won't appose the idea but have concerns, partially due to no experience with them. The shops I worked for, the boss refused to go there for a couple of reasons. 1. The liability with things like space heaters and second, availability of parts. We did expand to items like go-karts, mini bikes and Go-Ped scooters but they were powered by engines we knew something about and had parts for.
NevadaWalrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby fixer5000 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 pm

i think the knowledge base here can handle just about anything. is there liability involved in advice forums?
fixer5000

Postby bgsengine » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:12 pm

fixer5000 wrote:i think the knowledge base here can handle just about anything.
I agree, which is why I brought that up..
is there liability involved in advice forums?
There's liability involved in *EVERYTHING* these days... ( :twisted: Lawyers :twisted: )

There's 2 things weighing in on that issue: First, Most power tools and things like kerosene heaters, repairs and service are very simple and straightforward - Most times only a very basic guideline covers 99% of the issues.. and second, The Liability Issue comes into play about the same way as it might when discussing bypassing safety features on a lawnmower, and the like - The forum and website is just a venue, and each individual making a post is responsible for their own opinions/advice - The same way it would have to work with heaters and Power Tools..

I just don't know as it is worth the trouble to have a forum up for those issues, when there's lots of places that deal with power tools (not so many dealing with Kerosene heaters) But as mentioned, Worst that can happen really is it just sits there unused and ignored.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby fixer5000 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:41 pm

or on craigslist where i can snap it up fix it and use it!!
fixer5000

Postby John » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 pm

This is probably not what you meant but over the years this site has been very helpful. http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/index.htm
Never do a job standing up when you can do it sitting down.
John

Return to The Break Room AKA General Discussion