• Advertisement

Considering a restoration

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Considering a restoration

Postby bgsengine » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Thinking about making this a Restoration Project.. have not decided yet.. the deck is in really good shape - Usually the cast iron spindle housing on these are busted to pieces, but this one is complete. Wheel Horse 856 with RMR-32 Cross Shaft mower.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Advertisement

Re: Considering a restoration

Postby TwoCycle » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 pm

That's the best condition resto candidate I've ever seen. ;)
TwoCycle

Postby bgsengine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:02 pm

It runs great too. starts right up (After charging the battery - It wont hold a charge) , doesn't burn oil, mows great.. just need a lot of work - hubs loose, belts, input pulley loose, needs tires (dry rot) , and a lot of bushings replaced or fabricated for the deck.. new wheel horse decals (Previous owner was a retired Ford tech, he owned that tractor since it was new.. . Thus, the "Ford" labels on it.. LOL! ) Got sources for most of the parts, only issues I may have will be the fabrication (don't have a lathe or end mill.. need to get 'em one of these days..) Its been well cared for - thing is older than I am. Although if someone came along and offered me $350 cash as-is, I'd sell it in a minute. :)

Other thing keeping me from starting in on it is, a matter of available time. :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby fixer5000 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:58 am

my younger brother has one of those up in vt that he still uses. actually i think it is older than yours brian
" GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "
fixer5000

Postby bgsengine » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:21 am

fixer5000 wrote:my younger brother has one of those up in vt that he still uses. actually i think it is older than yours brian

Could be - Easy way to tell on these particular models is the last digit of the model

856 = 8 HP built in 1956 853 = 8 HP built in 1953 .. you get the idea :)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Buckshot 1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:22 am

bgsengine wrote:
fixer5000 wrote:my younger brother has one of those up in vt that he still uses. actually i think it is older than yours brian

Could be - Easy way to tell on these particular models is the last digit of the model

:) Incorrect, 856, 8HP, 5= electric start, built in 1966. There was no 853, there is a 753. If there is a 0 (zero) in the model number, such as x0x, that would be a recoil start only no electric. :usa:
Don B, Ft. Wayne, IN., USAF 1962-1968
Buckshot 1
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:37 am

Buckshot 1 wrote:
bgsengine wrote:

:) Incorrect, 856, 8HP, 5= electric start, built in 1966. There was no 853, there is a 753. If there is a 0 (zero) in the model number, such as x0x, that would be a recoil start only no electric. :usa:

OK memory's foggy - My bad - got the wrong decade... (or I just typoed it without thinking it out, can't recall, but I KNEW it was 60's not sure why I typed 56,53, etc.)
but the basic idea is there .. Used to work on them all the time way back when I worked at a WheelHorse dealer .. 20 years back I probably would have spotted this same error.... and I knew the 753 , it must have been a typo on my part, what with all the 8's and 6's I'd just typed..
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Buckshot 1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:57 am

:) BGS, I kinda fiqured that it was either brain fade or a typo. In my estimation Wheel Horse Lawn and garden tractors are the easiest to work on that was before Toro got in the game. There are still plenty of parts available new/used. On the model I.D. tag, if it starts with a 1= lawn tractor, 2= garden tractor. I am in the process of restoring a 656, along with building a rat rod out of a lawn ranger (lawn tractor). Good luck on witch ever way you decide to go on the 856.
:usa:
Buckshot 1
Forum Regular

Postby motorhead64 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:37 am

If this has the hi=lo transmission, you can use it for pulling houses off foundations. I have an old B60 7 horse that I saved from the boneyard..built of American steel and will creep at idle and pull as much as a truck. MH
motorhead64
Forum Regular

Postby Buckshot 1 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 am

:) MH, 856 did not have a twin stick trans, but you are correct, with a twin stick in compond low they will move about anything, if they have the traction. My 656 I converted to a twin stick trans and it is amazing with the 6HP engine and when I am in compound low, what I could move. Yes, they were built out of American steel in S. Bend, IN. :usa:
Buckshot 1
Forum Regular

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)