• Advertisement

flo-jet air intake drain hole filter retainer wanted

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

flo-jet air intake drain hole filter retainer wanted

Postby sgull » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm looking for the snap-on cross-shaped part which is a filter retainer that fits into the drain hole at the bottom of the air intake portion of the lower body of a two-piece medium Flo-Jet Briggs carburetor. When I pried my old one out, it shot out over my shoulder and I could never find it so I need a replacement. It is a small lightweight silver metal part which snaps into a machined groove to hold the little replaceable filter within that drain hole. In the following picture, the location of the drain hole I'm talking about is just to the left of the choke lever at the bottom of the intake tube:

In this picture, you can see the opening where the filter/retainer fits:

It is my understanding that over time there was a design change for the filter/retainer, and my particular design is apparently of the earlier years, and of which the retainer style I described is no longer available. It later was changed to a “staked in” design such as shown here (for sale at ebay) along with the little filter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIGGS-STRATTON ... 3a938e72a6

And later still the design was changed again to sort of a one-piece brass mesh “plug filter”, but not made to be removed, similar to something like this (but not this):

So if anyone might happen to have the little cross-shaped snap-in filter retainer part available from an old junked flo-jet carb, I'd sure like to have it. Thanks.
sgull
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: flo-jet air intake drain hole filter retainer wanted

Postby sgull » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:30 pm

C'mon somebody. I've been hunting everywhere for that one that shot over my shoulder now for weeks.
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:54 am

You would think there would be a few out there but with the bad economy and and all the scrape metal recycling going on I don't see much in equipment that survives long after it quits working, I only received a few units this year as most customers pickup their equipment and sold it to the recycling centers.

Where in the past I was able to repair customer machines with used parts recovered from donors I having to replace with new when they can be had or just tell the customer they need a new machine. In area I know of at least a dozen small shops that have gone out business because the used parts aren't as plentiful as once were. I even seen one larger shop go under recently.

With this mind you may need to re-engineer the area to accept a different part.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby sgull » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 am

KE4AVB wrote:you may need to re-engineer the area to accept a different part.

Yes in fact that (as quoted above) has been suggested to me as well by another helpful forum member here. The post at the end of the following thread suggests perhaps fabricating a brass mesh filter plug to make it fit by machining it down: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1037&p=7931#p7931

I did find on ebay a listing where someone is selling a carb base which happens to have the factory brass mesh type filter, which is how I'd want my fabrication to end up being like if indeed I did attempt "re-engineering" per the method mentioned above. It can be seen in the third photo here in the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/11204-Briggs-an ... 27f0761d43

A second suggested alternative was to find some aluminum "steel wool" and use a small hammer to mash it into a tight ball, cut/grind to size and solder it in place. That would be a less "invasive" method that would not permanently deform the carburetor body (In case I do come across a replacement filter/retainer identical to mine).

So I am considering those two above options in regard to re-engineering. The second suggestion I think I like a little better but just not sure what kind/type of solder to use and I don't have much confidence in my soldering skills. :?
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:38 pm

sgull wrote:So I am considering those two above options in regard to re-engineering. The second suggestion I think I like a little better but just not sure what kind/type of solder to use and I don't have much confidence in my soldering skills. :?

Personally I have no luck at soldering aluminum even using those special welding rods that is out there so if it was me wouldn't even consider that route.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NOBLNG » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:30 am

Could you possibly bend a small piece of .023 or .030 welding wire to act as a retainer?
NOBLNG

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:00 am

NOBLNG wrote:Could you possibly bend a small piece of .023 or .030 welding wire to act as a retainer?

Good point, or with a pair of tin snips, fashion a retainer out of a piece of old recoil spring...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby sgull » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:08 am

Yes one or the other of those last two suggestions just might work out. I'll keep those in mind too; will let you know if any success with that or otherwise. Thanks guys.
sgull
Forum Regular

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)