• Advertisement

kill switch condenser briggs 23AFB

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

kill switch condenser briggs 23AFB

Postby sgull » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:52 pm

I was looking under the cover of the kill switch on my recently acquired Briggs 23AFB engine (type 703525) and noticed the wire on the condenser doesn't look too healthy. There's some insulation burnt/melted off where the wire passes over/touches sort of a centrally located slotted screw on the switch, and there is a blackened/burnt residue on that screw head where it contacted the exposed stranded wire of the condenser, and in addition at least one or two strands of that wire are broken. Here's a picture for what it's worth (sorry the close-up function on my camera gave out (I need to get that fixed or get a different camera): Image[/URL]

I'm fairly certain the part number for the condenser is 291369 and I saw at least a few available on ebay. Unless somebody here has and extra one lying around they wouldn't mind sending me for a fair inexpensive price. Also, I am wondering what typically might be the cause of that wire heating up and burning through like that. Thanks
sgull
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: kill switch condenser briggs 23AFB

Postby RoyM » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 pm

The condenser stores a fair bit of energy, it would arc if not properly insulated. That is an old engine so deterioration is normal, that might be the original. Is a new one going to break the bank?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby sgull » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:01 am

RoyM wrote:The condenser stores a fair bit of energy, it would arc if not properly insulated. That is an old engine so deterioration is normal, that might be the original. Is a new one going to break the bank?

Naw a new one won't break the bank. I was just curious about it in general. I don't know much about condensers and just thought I'd toss out what I noticed here for comment. thanks.
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:01 pm

Condensers are nothing but a capacitor with one plate connected the metal casing. Several hundred volts of stored energy can stored in them when use in small engines are use to trigger the ignition coil's primary circuit.

Fellow techs with a mean streak like to charge them and toss them to unexpecting co-workers.

I work with capacitors that can store several 1000's of volts of energy and they can cause some serious injuries if not properly handled. I have had the tip of one finger to receive 3rd degree burns because a capacitor that had recharged in a power supply that I drained but fail to leave a safety attached.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby sgull » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks for the explanation/description and comments KE4AVB. Yeah now I'm reminded of some past experience I've had some kind of outdated outdoor commercial light fixtures (a retrofitting/updating project) where there were some potentially dangerous capacitors and condensers we (me along with co-workers) were cautioned about proper handling, similar to what you've discussed a little in your response. We were by no means techs but just "parts changers" so were just told of what to be careful with. And I'd still consider myself a "parts changer" since back then, not too technically educated in things of electrical nature especially (obviously probably, per my inquiry/post here).
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby wristpin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:50 pm

The brutal way to discharge a capacitor is to just short it out. The better way is through a suitable resistor.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)