• Advertisement

Bolens Snowblowers

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Bolens Snowblowers

Postby frankp » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:46 pm

I have four Bolens 824A snowblowers in various conditions. I like the quality of these old machine and want to learn more about them. I ordered a few parts manuals on Ebay. These manuals are from the FMC Corporation. What"s a good source for these parts? I was thinking of restoring these machines to use in a snow removal business I'm trying to build. I don't know if this is a good idea as the repair parts might be to expensive or NLA. I just think it's assame to see these 30 year old machine go to scrap metal.
frankp
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Bolens Snowblowers

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Bolens, like Troy-Bilt and Cub Cadet, is now an MTD brand and parts (many, not all) are still available from / through MTD supply chain - MTD is still producing Bolens branded products, I do believe. Often the original bolens part numbers are still ordered direct through MTD, or they can interchange to new MTD numbers.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby frankp » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:22 pm

I'm trying to replace the wheel axle bushing on a bolen which has a .875 axle. The part requires a bushing with a .880 ID and two flats. Not having much luck. I might have to have two made. Should I use brass or stick with Nylon?
frankp
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:41 pm

frankp wrote:I'm trying to replace the wheel axle bushing on a bolen which has a .875 axle. The part requires a bushing with a .880 ID and two flats. Not having much luck. I might have to have two made. Should I use brass or stick with Nylon?

Does it look like this one?
If so the part number is 1739471 label as Bushing 0.875

Depending your dimensions and you metal working abilities Stens has bronze one but you need to file or machine the flats in to it and may need to shorten it. Sure would be a lot less machine work.
Stens 225-722 Inside diameter: 7/8" (.875) x Outside diameter: 1 1/8" x Height: 1 1/4"
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby frankp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:53 pm

The part number1739471 is that a MTD part number? I like the brass steins part also. Thanks
frankp
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:01 pm

frankp wrote:The part number1739471 is that a MTD part number? I like the brass steins part also. Thanks

yup , it is a valid and currently available current production MTD part number - any MTD, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt dealer can order you them (not that they WILL - some dealers can be quite obstinate that "its no longer available".. so may have to shop around a tad bit...)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:08 pm

We are an MTD distributor and we cannot supply it. In Canada, parts that are exclusive to Troy-bilt, Cub Cadet, Bolens and White are only supplied by a warehouse out of Quebec and the dealer must have an account with them or go to one of their dealers to order it. It would be like Chev dealers not being able to access Buick parts even though both are owned by GM. Nonsense but there are a lot of politics involved.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:44 am

Wow. Works a little different here - or maybe because we are set up as a Troy-Bilt dealer,but we can order in just about any MTD part except stuff that is specific to Cub Cadet alone - any part that was even used on any MTD brand other than Cub that is still available in production, we can pretty much order them in. Maybe your situation is just how it works in Canada... but in USA, they "consolidated" most of the MTD brands except troy-bilt and cub cadet , into one distribution channel, it seems.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:42 am

I currently have similar problem obtaining Husqvarna chainsaw parts. One of my supplier of AYP/Poulan/Husqvarna parts can't even get the Husqvarna chainsaw parts so I need to go through a more expensive supplier that I don't normally use just get the Husqvarna parts. I don't know this is something new or it has always been this way.

I need to find supplier that has a good turn around and fair prices on these parts as Jack's seems to drag their feet on my orders. One the problem I have with is that I on my part orders the expected ship dates keeps changing. I can no longer give my customers a reliable delivery dates because of this.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:52 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I currently have similar problem obtaining Husqvarna chainsaw parts. One of my supplier of AYP/Poulan/Husqvarna parts can't even get the Husqvarna chainsaw parts so I need to go through a more expensive supplier that I don't normally use just get the Husqvarna parts. I don't know this is something new or it has always been this way.

I need to find supplier that has a good turn around and fair prices on these parts as Jack's seems to drag their feet on my orders. One the problem I have with is that I on my part orders the expected ship dates keeps changing. I can no longer give my customers a reliable delivery dates because of this.

Yup - that is exactly why we do not stock AYP any more right now, when our inventory gets sold out, we do not re-stock - it either gets replaced with aftermarket equivalents, or gets put on "Special Order" status.
- Used to be we had 4 distributors we could get AYP OEM from - but Husqvarna in their infinite wisdom made it to where there was just two distributors in the US for their parts - Dixie Sales in the east and Biliou's in the west - when they did that it got to where if a dealer did not already have a part on the shelf, if a part was backordered, it was backorderd for *everyone* in a given distribution zone . - Poulan-Weedeater parts were often used in low-end Husqvarna models (they were basically Poulan or Weedeaters in Husqvarna Orange - like Husqvarna's more basic Riders - get the same thing at Sears for a lot less!)

Ship times, at least for us, are always within 24 hours for in-stock items - so anything we have listed on ebay/amazon/ebid will always ship within 24 hours.
- but our web store features items we do not always stock, so in those cases, ship times may vary, and that is probably what you are seeing with Jack's website - unless they figure out a way to make their website track their inventory in real-time, it's the chance you take.

- I am working on some software for our company that will be able to give real-time inventory counts for our web store along with ship time estimates for out-of-stock items - There's no software in existence that can do what I am working on..
(and by the way, if and when we do get that done, we're gonna have an invitation-only trial for other small dealers like you to beta test our software for your own shop - it'll do work orders, customer tracking, repair histories, serialized unit tracking, and the like.. and a lot of other stuff those $1500.00/month $18,000 up-front Shop management systems *can't* do.. so drop me a P.M. if you may be interested to try it out - might take a year or so before anything can happen, but.. )
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)