• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton 23A Engine

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Briggs & Stratton 23A Engine

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Greetings All

Last Fall I was given a B&S 23A engine, #'s 703016 & 358980. Does anyone know how old this engine might be. This one has the spring loaded oil filler cap and not the screw in type. Once I cleaned out the fuel system then cleaned and re-gapped the breaker points, the old beast starts on the first or second pull and runs nicely. Thanks and all the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Briggs & Stratton 23A Engine

Postby RoyM » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:12 am

Still lots around, the distributor I worked for still gets parts calls. It was built in the 1950's, Briggs adopted the current numbering system around 1962 so yours is before that. One tough engine.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)