• Advertisement

Old B&S engine question

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Old B&S engine question

Postby mulch » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Hello

I have a student that brought in an old B&S engine to rebuild. This engine looks to be in great conditon but we will soon finsd out when starts to dissassemble. I am having trouble locating the correct service manual to locate reject specs.

142402 502028 222749

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
1969 Ariens 10M5 Blower
mulch
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Old B&S engine question

Postby bgsengine » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:34 pm

You want the antique engines service manual KE4 posted it in downloads section as "Repairman's Handbook 1919 - 1981" Yours is probably circa 1960's vintage - before they went to 4-digit type-trim codes and a serial number showing the year built (I doubt it is a 1922 vintage!)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm

The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby mulch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks guys. Yes it is not a 1922 but it is mich older than we are used to in the shop. Thanks for the pats list. What I really am in need of is a tech manual. I require all students to inspect and measure against reject dims to determine wear. I am not able to find that info in the "repairmans handbook" or am I missing something. What I need it crank specs, ring specs, bore dia, ignition specs, torque data, and ...... anything else. I will keep looking.

Thanks,
1969 Ariens 10M5 Blower
mulch
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:03 pm

mulch wrote:Thanks guys. Yes it is not a 1922 but it is mich older than we are used to in the shop. Thanks for the pats list. What I really am in need of is a tech manual. I require all students to inspect and measure against reject dims to determine wear. I am not able to find that info in the "repairmans handbook" or am I missing something. What I need it crank specs, ring specs, bore dia, ignition specs, torque data, and ...... anything else. I will keep looking.

Thanks,

You will want the specs for the 140000 Model series Horizontal shaft engines
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Mulch, its there just not compiled in one neat little chart. Just need to look in each related chapter.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:10 pm

KE4AVB wrote: wrote:
Mulch, its there just not compiled in one neat little chart. Just need to look in each related chapter.

Yup - Make them look it up - It is a perfect excuse to reinforce the old maxim of "RTFM!!!" (Read The Friggin Manual!) There's a lot of information that can be *learned* from by reading the details, not just checking specs.,, and having to read the procedure (The manual is laid out with disassembly - inspection - reassembly procedures for many things, and following it the first few times makes it much easier to understand the specs and the reasons for them)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby mulch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:45 pm

bgsengine wrote:Yup - Make them look it up - It is a perfect excuse to reinforce the old maxim of "RTFM!!!" (Read The Friggin Manual!)

Yes! I struggle with these kids constantly about READING anything. "This may be a small engine class but this is why you learn to read in reading class so you can function in everday life, like reparing, or anything".

I got it guys. I have located all of the specs withing the text. Great help as always.
1969 Ariens 10M5 Blower
mulch
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Just load the manual on an USB thumb drive and plug it in their ear. :lol: Just joking but some think that all it takes nowadays.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)