• Advertisement

Husqvarna 37 Oil gear question

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Husqvarna 37 Oil gear question

Postby StarTech » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 pm

How do you remove the oil pump drive gear from the crankshaft safely? Restoring the 37 and I needing to replace the oil seal behind the gear. I think it is the last thing I need to do to get it running properly.
StarTech

Advertisement

Re: Husqvarna 37 Oil gear question

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:06 pm

They make a puller for it that threads on to the worm gear and a center bolt to push on the crank to pull it off.. Other than that, pry bars and judicious use of a mallet and a propane torch may be the only other way.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:37 am

bgsengine wrote:They make a puller for it that threads on to the worm gear and a center bolt to push on the crank to pull it off.. Other than that, pry bars and judicious use of a mallet and a propane torch may be the only other way.

I was hoping someone could chime in with the part number for the puller; although, with my luck it is no longer available. This looks like it a die cast type can't be pry off without damaging it. I try going to the nut, bolt, and screw warehouse when I am in town again to see if they have a nut that will fit it. The saw runs very good except on it side and I hate to just give up because this. This gear is no longer available so I can't just cut it off.

I have already had to retire two McCulloughs MacCats due oil pump problems. I have replaced one with a Poulan 4218AVX which has an upgraded cylinder. I replaced the regular cylinder with a NCC version just had to use a matching piston, still 42CC but with more compression.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:02 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
bgsengine wrote:They make a puller for it that threads on to the worm gear and a center bolt to push on the crank to pull it off.. Other than that, pry bars and judicious use of a mallet and a propane torch may be the only other way.

I was hoping someone could chime in with the part number for the puller; although, with my luck it is no longer available. This looks like it a die cast type can't be pry off without damaging it. I try going to the nut, bolt, and screw warehouse when I am in town again to see if they have a nut that will fit it. The saw runs very good except on it side and I hate to just give up because this. This gear is no longer available so I can't just cut it off.

I have already had to retire two McCulloughs MacCats due oil pump problems. I have replaced one with a Poulan 4218AVX which has an upgraded cylinder. I replaced the regular cylinder with a NCC version just had to use a matching piston, still 42CC but with more compression.

measure the O.D and thread pitch of the worm gear - I suspect many of them are very similar, so a puller for other makes may work - such as the ones for Echo.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby StarTech » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Finally got the gear off it was a 11/16-11 Nut that I used along with a small puller. Seal replaced and the saw runs like a new one.

Now where an Orange paint that is fairly close match to Husqvarna Orange. No way I paying over 25 USD for a can of spray paint. Any suggestions?
StarTech

Postby bgsengine » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Could paint it red and call it a Jonsered 370 :)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby StarTech » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Strange you should mention Jonsered as I just found out it uses a Jonsered/Pioneer mount per Oregon.

I thought I post a couple pics of the 1983 Husqvarna 37 that I am restoring. Not be bad so far considering it came to me in box dissembled.
ImageImage
Last edited by StarTech on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarTech

Postby bgsengine » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Yup. - Jonsered, Husqvarna, Pioneer, Partner,Frontier, Poulan all eventually became property of Electrolux Motor AB along with AYP, Weedeater, and countless others I forgot about. (I used to be a Jonsered Dealer, many winters ago) Indeed, the 37 and Jonsered 370 are based off the original manufacturer's (Frontier) design, as are the older Husky 36 and Jonsered 361 (Up until this winter when it was stripped for scrap/hardware/parts I had a Frontier version of those in the junk parts bin)

Lots of stuff interchanges among them all even still. Can often get parts for a customer's Husqvarna or Jonsered by ordering it through Poulan distributor.
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby StarTech » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:16 am

That what makes so difficult when repairing small engines, so many companies have either just gone out business or have been gobbled up by larger companies.

Just finding part lists can be a challenge in itself. As with this Husky even after I found the IPL I had how to convert the part numbers to the current version. At least someone took time to type in the old numbers to where they were readable on the photocopies. I did go through Poulan division for the parts as Husqvarna lists them as NLA.
StarTech

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)