• Advertisement

Iron Block Clinton

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Re: Iron Block Clinton

Postby hillsider » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:38 am

wristpin wrote:
With a little looking you can probably find a suitable insert like that at hardware stores - They use them in lots of things so your local hardware store or building supply house, or auto parts store (Auto Body Repair) etc can probably find a suitable sized insert to do the same thing.

Thanks, nice idea but I think that there may be a big difference between "over there and over here", but I'll ask around!

Having seen the difference in hardware stores between the USA and the UK I would tend to agree with wristpin's comment, our old style hardware stores have all but disappeared to replaced by fast food outlets in many cases. The DIY /big box stores are quite good at what they do but I strongly suspect that the response to the question would be met with a blank expression followed by the comment 'if it isn't on the shelf we don't stock it'.
hillsider

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:43 am

hillsider wrote:The DIY /big box stores are quite good at what they do but I strongly suspect that the response to the question would be met with a blank expression followed by the comment 'if it isn't on the shelf we don't stock it'.

Quite the same case over here too.. but there are *still* those little out-of-the-way "Mom and Pop" stores that have been in business for 100 - 150 years over several generations.. True, they *ARE* very few and far between, but chances are you ask one of THEM by describing the "thingy" you're looking for, and they go "Oh yeah! wait a minute, I think we just might have one on the back shelf" As we are in a very rural area, we do happen to have a couple of those (Though they have gone and gotten "franchised" with one of the big names like Ace Hardware or True Value, etc.)

Dunno if U.K. still has them laying around in places, but often the long trip to go visit such a store is very well worth it, just for having made contact with them..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby wristpin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Final update!
Fuel tap issue sorted, found a tap that's a better fit, cleaned up the threads in the tank and installed the tap with Loctite Hydraulic Seal.
However just when I thought I was home and dry I noticed a damp patch under the tank. Further investigation and cleaning up with a wire brush revealed a multitude of pin holes in the tank at one end where water had lain in it at some time. Fortunately I was able to solder these up and make it fuel tight.
Now starts second pull, runs nicely and is on its way back to the owner!

http://s875.photobucket.com/user/modelman093/media/CIMG2086.jpg.html
wristpin
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)