• Advertisement

Old Homelite Chainsaw oiler

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Old Homelite Chainsaw oiler

Postby Mr Mower Man » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:19 am

A customer just brought me a Homelite chainsaw he says he bought new in 1975. It's a VI Super 2, model number 10524A, serial #703080750.

It's an automatic oiler system, but it's not oiling anymore, and he's had a couple other repair places tell him it needs another oiler. I did take the bar off and run the engine without it, and verified that no oil is coming out. Anyone know how I can track down one of these oilers, and what's involved in replacing it? The old saw looks extremely well kept and runs great! Thanks for any info you can spare!
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Old Homelite Chainsaw oiler

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:36 pm

If it is the Little Red top handle chainsaw the oiler diaphragm isn't available. I most never found one two years ago.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Yep what KE4 said- Probably cost more to take it apart and put together (shop labor) than to fix it but if you gotta try, you gotta pop the short block out of the cover casing , you can check the oiler lines and the oiler pickup filter , the oiler pump should be a diaphragm type that runs off crankcase pulses (mind the gasket and diaphragm- they are NLA, if they are bad, good luck finding new ones) could be something is simply plugged up. (could try and put a little bit of air pressure into oil tank and see if it pushes any oil out)

*edit* forgot to include - Look for a sort of round-ish (does double duty as the chain catcher,if I recall) piece held in with 3 screws , that'll be your oiler diaphragm cover
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Actually not that bad to it out of the case. Remove recoil starter, remove from wrap around handle. 4 screw for the case. Remove the spark plug bar and chain then the engine should just slide out but watch out for the throttle linkage. Oil and fuel tanks both will out as slide the engine out.

Yes the diaphragm cover is held on by three screws. Behind the diaphragm pin is a steel ball and spring in the oil pump tube.

I actually got an ipl for this saw that I didn't know I had if you need a copy.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am

Yes, I'd love a copy of the IPL if you can spare it! And yes, it's a small saw with the top handle. I'm not all that familiar with chainsaws in general, much less the ones that are older than me!
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 am

Email sent with links. I include a SM link too that should help learning these saws.

Well it going take a saw a lot older this one for me. I have only worked on one made before '59. It was '54 model.

I actually got a couple these Little Reds here. One with a magnesium housing and one with the plastic housing. I use them while climbing around in my fruit trees pruning. The top handle allows me to balance the saw one handed while hanging on the the other hand but I would like to get a pole saw instead.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mr Mower Man » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks for all the advice and manuals! Turns out the diaphragm seemed to be in decent shape, but there was a complete blockage somewhere inside the oil path. It took me a few minutes, but I was able to get it cleared out, and now oil gets to the chain. I'd never seen an oiling system that operated off crankcase vacuum before.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Just wait until you across one those diaphragms with a hole in it. The saw will smoke like a freight train plus uses about as much oil as fuel mix. Great if your running off pests with hypodermic needles.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)