• Advertisement

Old Tecumseh

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Old Tecumseh

Postby matts156 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 am

I have an old Craftsman snow blower that is powered by a Tecumseh engine. When I Google the model numbers for the engine or the snow blower itself, I get absolutely no results. (That's to say that the results I get are completely irrelevant to the snow blower). The only thing wrong with the snow blower is a backfire through the carburetor that occurs after it runs for a few seconds, which makes it stall and it becomes very difficult to re-start. I think the points gap is off, so I'd like to adjust it. Does anyone know what I should set them to? Here are the model numbers of the snow blower.

Tecumseh engine: 143-554062, spec #22764 (the first 2 in the spec number may be wrong, it's hard to make out)

Snow blower: Craftsman model number 131.81926

I suspect the engine is 3 HP. From the styling, the snow blower appears to be a late 50s/early 60s model, but that's just a guess - I could be way off. Any information on this unit would be greatly appreciated.
matts156

Advertisement

Re: Old Tecumseh

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:47 am

143.554062 > H35-45048D

Timing 0.065 BDTC with a point setting of .020"
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)