• Advertisement

Briggs shrouds will 3.5hp fit 8ci engines ?

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Briggs shrouds will 3.5hp fit 8ci engines ?

Postby 3v0 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:20 am

I am looking for a couple of shrouds for 8ci in (2-3HP 80100) engines. There are not many on ebay but I do see a few 3.5hp ones and am wondering if they fit.
3v0

Advertisement

Re: Briggs shrouds will 3.5hp fit 8ci engines ?

Postby bgsengine » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 am

kinda depends on the age, but I do believe they will, if I recall correctly ..they used almost the same block dimensions just different bore size
- SOME of them will match up, but I havent seen those older L-Heads in many years so memory may be foggy but way back when (30 Yrs ago or so) I used to build engines up from spare parts for used lawnmowers to sell.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:59 am

Make sure you keep a record of the original numbers or somebody will go crazy trying to source the right parts later.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby 3v0 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:21 pm

RoyM wrote:Make sure you keep a record of the original numbers or somebody will go crazy trying to source the right parts later.

I may well be that crazy guy. Two of 5 of the little briggs I am working on came to me with no shrouds. But one has a loose valve guide so at least for now its name is 'spare parts'.
3v0

Briggs Type Numbers

Postby 3v0 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 pm

The last 2 posts has me thinking about the numbers.

For example the Cooper Clipper Trim engine is and briggs tells us how to decode the first and last group.

80102 0168 01 6803281

Has anyone seen documentation on decoding the center group which is the Type. Like what is the paint code for red or a horizontal vacu-jet carb.
3v0

Re: Briggs Type Numbers

Postby bgsengine » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:12 pm

3v0 wrote:The last 2 posts has me thinking about the numbers.

For example the Cooper Clipper Trim engine is and briggs tells us how to decode the first and last group.

80102 0168 01 6803281

Has anyone seen documentation on decoding the center group which is the Type. Like what is the paint code for red
Trim is the last 2 digits of the type code, and it may vary depending on the type itself, and often, the engine may have custom paint.. so there's no real paint color code chart.. It doesnt work like in the automotive trade.
or a horizontal vacu-jet carb.
Actually the carburetor type can be found in the *engine model*
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)