• Advertisement

Bob-Cat Snowblower Resurrection

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Bob-Cat Snowblower Resurrection

Postby NOBLNG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 pm

I have a Bob-Cat snowblower made by Wisconsin Marine. It has a 7HP B&S # 170452 1403 01 78073112. I believe this is the original engine, which would date this machine at 1978. I bought it second hand and used it from 1988 to 2006 and it threw snow like crazy. I bought a new machine, since this one had some drivetrain issues and only had a 2sp transmission.
It sat for 5 yrs in a shed and then 2yrs outdoors. I just now dragged it out of the snowbank to resurrect it. The engine is not siezed, but needs some TLC. The hi-range chain is loose, and skips cogs. The chute was rusted solid and would not rotate.
Wish list: Engine tune-up/carb rebuild, change high range sprocket ratio to increase speed in high range, fix ball & detent thingy in trans so it stays in gear, new tires, fix chute rotator and add remote deflector control.
NOBLNG

Advertisement

Re: Bob-Cat Snowblower Resurrection

Postby StarTech » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:06 am

I would think you might need check the valve clearances too with this older engine. Beware some of the parts are NLA.

I just rebuilt a 171000 series and it took several months of searching just to find a replacement rod. After I replaced the broken rod, the new oil dipper wanted to hit the crankcase which I had change the design of the dipper. After that I ended with up only 30 psi compression which was the valves and seats being pitted. After I went in a second time to do this I decided to get it over with and rebuilt it. It would have gone .010 over but the only piston still available was .020 over.

Good luck on the restoration.
StarTech

Postby NOBLNG » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 am

I don't want to spend a lot of money on the engine, since I may replace it if I like how the machine handles once I get it going again. I only use 2 gears most of the time on my new machine anyway, and to be honest I think the old Bob-cat may have more trouble free years left in it than the Simplicity.
NOBLNG

Postby NOBLNG » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:56 am

I have stripped it down to the offending chain. It looks to me like someone may have attempted to replace the chain without a teardown. I don't think anyone would deliberately install a chain this loose. I am going to replace the larger sprocket, as it is quite worn. I know I should replace all, but I do not have a lathe to cut them off of the unique hubs. Most of them are not that bad, and I will be replacing all chains.
NOBLNG

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:03 am

After some the rigged jobs I have seen in the last few years I just would not past someone. :lol:
But seriously it does look like it a link too much but can be just tooth wear too as right side look well worn from what I can see.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NOBLNG » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Today, I fixed the Fwd-Rev shifter which would not stay in gear. The bolt that holds the ball&spring in place had fallen out and mangled the low-range chain and dented the bottom of the case at some point previous to my ownership. The bracket that mounts the ball & detent setup was only fixed with two bolts, and could swivel away enough to lose the ball. Also the 1/8" thick flat bracket was bent, which could also drop the ball.

I added tabs and two more bolts and a gusset to keep the bracket from twisting or bending. I added another cotterpin farther down the shaft to lessen the wear on the original cotterpin. I am also going to drill and pin the bolt, once it's adjusted, that holds the ball in place so it cannot come out again.
NOBLNG

Postby NOBLNG » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:33 pm

[Image
NOBLNG

Postby NOBLNG » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:41 pm

NOBLNG

Postby NOBLNG » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Anyone interested in these machines can find a forum here;
http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/bo ... owblowers/
NOBLNG

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)