• Advertisement

Engine Slopping Oil...

For Technical Help, please use Technical Discussion Forum. This forum is more for informational, and "displaying" your current or past projects and restoration work, as well as "WANTED" requests for NOS/OBS/NLA/Used Parts (New Old Stock, Obsolete,No Longer Available) - *DO NOT* post advertisements for parts for sale. No advertising other than site sponsors is permitted here.

Engine Slopping Oil...

Postby rrrhre2s » Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 pm

I have a Briggs & Stratton engine:

Model: 92982
Type: 2069-01 ?
Code: 79100402

That is slopping oil when it is not running after setting for quite a while.

I will go and pull it out of storage and the deck has oil all over the place...

I clean everything up and check the oil level and top it off, this one does not have the extended oil fill.

The engine runs fine does not leak any oil while running, not smoking except when it has slopped.

Could this have anything to do with the PVC, ( # 8 Breather Valve Chamber 298383) causing a pressure buildup with changes in the weather causing it to slop oil...

It may not do this but once a year...or sometimes over winter storage...

Never had anyone mention a problem like this before...

Anybody got any ideals...

rrrhre2s
rrrhre2s

Advertisement

Re: Engine Slopping Oil...

Postby bgsengine » Thu May 08, 2014 7:40 am

Do you store it with any gas in the tank, and by any cnhance is the tank then empty after storing and the "slop" occurs?

and the correct acronym is PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) not PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride), which is a type of plastic. :)

But if you can verify the loss of fuel over storage you may have explained the oil slop - fuel runs through carburetor, into crankcase, diluting oil and over-filling, to the point oil leaks out past places it otherwise would not (such as the filler plug which may not have a gasket - newer ones come with gaskets) and when the fuel leak stops, the fuel then evaporates over time, leaving your crankcase oil low, and your machine covered in a mess of leaked oil.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby rrrhre2s » Thu May 08, 2014 11:56 am

Do you store it with any gas in the tank ?

No.

This has a PulsaJet carburetor on it with the tank below the carburetor, not a gravity feed.

I laughed at myself about the PCV vs. PVC thing so hard that I forgot my login !!

When you pass the big 50 the mind doesn't work like at first.

This engine was built in 1979 is why I put it here.

It's not fresh either...

Forgot:

It's always low of oil when it slops oil...

rrrhre2s
rrrhre2s

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 08, 2014 12:42 pm

Due the way these engine oil fill is placed I would doubt that the breather is causing this as the engine would need to be overfilled for this to happen. With it being low everytime after this happens I would be incline to think it would the PTO seal that has harden leaking at random from a possible a slightly bent crankshaft. Just a guess I had a couple that would only leak randomly last year and it was the PTO seal.

I had an old Dodge pickup that the rear would leak oil randomly from the rear main seal. It would leak for months and then with a space of few leak out a quart oil.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Restorer's Corner (Antiques & Restoration)