• Advertisement

Question about propane bottle & heater

While these are not our main line of work, there are many professionals in the OPE Business that also work with Electric Power Tools, Kerosene Heaters, and Lawn & Landscaping topics. There are other forums specializing in these subjects, but some of us are willing to try and help with your issues.

Question about propane bottle & heater

Postby GaryG » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:09 pm

We purchased and filled a 100 lb. propane bottle for use with a tri-fuel generator. The generator runs so poorly on LP that we've given up attempting to use it with anything other than gasoline. I was hoping to use the contents of the bottle with a Little Buddy portable propane heater, and had a couple of questions. The setup has a regulator attached to the bottle, a 1/2" compression coupling to 10' hose, and a threaded end that fits the generator but not the heater. The heater looks like it requires a 1" outside thread. Should I just bypass all that and buy & connect a new (Buddy) hose to bottle and heater, or do I need a regulator here, too? (I've used 1 & 20 lb. bottles with just a straight hose and this heater before, but does the larger bottle result in too much pressure for this appliance?) Any advice would be most welcome.
GaryG

Advertisement

Re: Question about propane bottle & heater

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm

GaryG wrote:We purchased and filled a 100 lb. propane bottle for use with a tri-fuel generator. The generator runs so poorly on LP that we've given up attempting to use it with anything other than gasoline. I was hoping to use the contents of the bottle with a Little Buddy portable propane heater, and had a couple of questions. The setup has a regulator attached to the bottle, a 1/2" compression coupling to 10' hose, and a threaded end that fits the generator but not the heater. The heater looks like it requires a 1" outside thread. Should I just bypass all that and buy & connect a new (Buddy) hose to bottle and heater, or do I need a regulator here, too? (I've used 1 & 20 lb. bottles with just a straight hose and this heater before, but does the larger bottle result in too much pressure for this appliance?) Any advice would be most welcome.

You'd need a 2-stage regulator, probably the one from Mr. Heater and the POL to Type 1 adapter to achieve this. On your two stage regulator/ hose you have a Type 1 female connection, so you need the POL to Type 1 male connector to complete what you are doing.

*Edit* Mr. Heater has a PDF guide to doing hookups http://www.mrheater.com/downloads/dl/fi ... e_2015.pdf the second illustration on page 4 looks like what you are needing.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Power Tools, Miscellaneous Home & Garden