• Advertisement

Tecumseh electric starter for snow blower fixable

While these are not our main line of work, there are many professionals in the OPE Business that also work with Electric Power Tools, Kerosene Heaters, and Lawn & Landscaping topics. There are other forums specializing in these subjects, but some of us are willing to try and help with your issues.

Tecumseh electric starter for snow blower fixable

Postby jwales » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:04 pm

I thought this would maybe be a better location than the technical forum.... I have seen two snow blowers already this year, and several in the past in which the electric starts do not work. These are the type that the plug-in/switch sets on top of the engine and you use an extension cord. The recoil works fine so they have not been interested in repairing. I have only offered to get the unit running (primarily fuel/carb issues) as I do not have a good understanding of electrical items.

Has anyone (tried to) repaired these units? They are fairly easy to remove and get on the work bench. Is there a common issue with these? Are they fixable? (ie., are parts reasonable/available).
I have not opened one up yet but plan to do so the next time I see one to explore.
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh electric starter for snow blower fixable

Postby RoyM » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:28 pm

There are no service parts, if they are disassembled they lose UL approval.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Yup - what RoyM said - not to mention liability , you realize you are messing with 120VAC household current there, just one screwup (missing a ground connection, short, etc) and you electrocute a customer.. so, not a good idea to try and mess with them.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:16 am

As advised don't attempt the repair.

I see a couple problems other the liability issues. One is that as you said you have limited electrical knowledge and second even if the item is repairable getting the parts can be very hard to do as some are custom made for a particular application and they are not freely available on the open market.

It like the wiring harnesses that I deal with. Most are repairable but sourcing the parts can be problematic unless you know which manufacture is involved and the style of terminals and housings.

Now of course I spent 2 yrs in training to work with electrical systems and have to read up on some items as things change over time. Even the wiring codes changes. When I first started there was no such thing as ground fault detectors. Now they are a common item in wet areas.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Thank you for your advice. Well Taken!!

More to add to the scrap metal pile.
jwales
Guide

Return to Power Tools, Miscellaneous Home & Garden