• Advertisement

Reddy Heater 35,000 BTU wont stay lit

While these are not our main line of work, there are many professionals in the OPE Business that also work with Electric Power Tools, Kerosene Heaters, and Lawn & Landscaping topics. There are other forums specializing in these subjects, but some of us are willing to try and help with your issues.

Reddy Heater 35,000 BTU wont stay lit

Postby jwales » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:11 pm

I was given this 35,000 BTU Reddy Heater, propane by my neighbor to heat my garage intermittently. I have a Kerosene torpedo I used but he hated the smell when we were working on things. :lol: I retired the Kerosene heater up north.
So when I try and start it up I have to hold one button in then press the igniter button, then hold the first button in for 30-60 seconds then release and it is supposed to continue to burn/run. What is happening is after about 5 minutes or so it shuts down. I push the button in and hit the igniter and it fires right up but as soon as I release the first button it shuts off.

There is a fan that operates on this powered off my extension cord. No issues there.

Any idea what is wrong with this unit and is it fixable? I like the idea of a smaller heater and better air to breath in the garage.

Thanks.
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Reddy Heater 35,000 BTU wont stay lit

Postby RoyM » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm

There may be a photo cell near the nozzle that will cut the fuel off if it doesn't see a flame, it may be covered in soot.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby mr-moe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:23 am

Thermo coupler needs replacing.
Moe Fretz
Retired Small Engine mechanic, Ag tech, Auto tech.
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Postby jwales » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:29 pm

Thank you! I did some research, and looked closer at my heater. A reasonably priced piece and it looks like I can get at it to replace with out to many technical issues. Thanks again. Will let you know how I did.
jwales
Guide

Return to Power Tools, Miscellaneous Home & Garden