• Advertisement

Battery vs gas powered equipment performance

While these are not our main line of work, there are many professionals in the OPE Business that also work with Electric Power Tools, Kerosene Heaters, and Lawn & Landscaping topics. There are other forums specializing in these subjects, but some of us are willing to try and help with your issues.

Battery vs gas powered equipment performance

Postby Eganarrh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:28 am

I'm in the market for some lawn equipment - string trimmer, edger, and leaf blower. I'm looking at either Echo's PAS line or EGO's battery-powered stuff. The significantly lower maintenance of the battery-powered equip appeals to me.

Aside from mowers (which aren't yet competitive cut- and power-wise with gas), how do battery-powered tools compare to gas in terms of performance? I'm looking to hear from people who have used both. The reviews across the internet on battery-powered equipment are stellar, but it seems many of them are from people who are buying their first set of equipment and don't have much to compare it to.

I'm also wondering about long term use. Gas engines are tried and true - it's generally known how long they last, what to expect from them, and how to maintain them. But what about batteries? How often am I going to replace them? Sure they're easier to maintain day to day (in that there is none), but what will these tools look like in 10 years?
https://prohomeandgardenreviews.com/best-battery-hedge-trimmer/
Eganarrh

Advertisement

Re: Battery vs gas powered equipment performance

Postby creia » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Eganarrh,
Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of collective knowledge and experience here, and some fabulous members very willing to share it.(God knows I have asked my share of questions!) I would recommend that you repost your question in the "Technical Discussion Forum" as I would bet it will get a lot more looks.(bsengines/Brian may end up "spanking me" :oops: for making that suggestion, as you DID post it in the appropriate topic section.) It has been my observation that questions posted in this topic section kind of go into the Bermuda Triangle of discussion with few looks and even fewer replies- just an observation, not a complaint.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:51 am

Nah, creia, I actually think general discussion or tech discussion would be appropriate as well .. and to answer the OP question, I can highly recommend Makita's LXT series of power tools - they offer lower cost 18V and then double-battery 36V tools and they are always expanding that line, well over 130 different tools besides just common power equipment units - their 36v cordless chainsaw is about equivalent to an Echo CS-352 or Stihl MS-170 or similar consumer models, performance-wise... My dad has been using their 18v grass trimmer for the last couple years so far and loves it, battery lasts long enough to do all the trimming, and it is easier on him (arthritis and vibration sensitivity) than a gas powered unit.. and Makita has very very strong backing and MANY years experience in cordless tools, so they are a superb brand to go with (and with any manufacturer, make sure you read the fine print on a warranty - because some companies will warranty the tool for like 5 years but only give 1 year on battery, etc... Makita, however, gives an all inclusive 3 year warranty - tool, battery AND charger.. something worth bearing in mind.) As for battery performance, I have actually not used the Echo battery power ones (When they first came out they were sold only through home depot and warrantied by TTI/Ryobi, so I'd never buy a Home Depot model..) - but performance-wise, so far, Makita LXT batteries have been extremely trouble-free (Ive had a LXT Drill - same battery as is used on the cordless trimmer and chainsaw - for 6 years now, trouble-free) Never looked at EGO (Made in China just like the Ryobi/Ridgid/Homelite/Worx, etc stuff) So, if given a choice as a consumer, I'd invariably go with Makita (I've had a corded 3/8 VSR drill from Makita since I got it new in 1985, and it is still going strong, never needed any repairs..)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 am

The reason Hadn't respond to the post is that I have no experience with the newer Li-Ion battery powered equipment myself. The drill I have is an old Dewalt that uses 12v Ni-Cad setup and I had the charger to go into nuclear meltdown last Summer. I don't do much field work anymore so there is no rush to replace the battery and charger or go with a newer 2 speed drill.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Power Tools, Miscellaneous Home & Garden