• Advertisement

Light 'Em Up!

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Light 'Em Up!

Postby Mek-a-nik » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:28 am

I have 2 of these Briggs otoscopes: http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-1 ... B00DJR1IDO Frankly, they're junk. I have a mobile business, so granted, they take a bit of a beating just riding around in truck, but so does the rest of my equipment. The bulbs alway blow out and sometimes I have to hold the button down so that the light says lit.
I just bought one of these: http://www.drmomotoscope.com It has LED bulb, so I'm hoping for a longer life. I'll report back on that when I give it some use. It has a more solid feel to it, is all I can say now.
Incidentally, either one is priceless when it come to finding junk in carbs. Instead of assembling and installing only find out that there's still junk in the carb, many times you can see it with the scope. I use it before reassembling any carb.

While I'm at it, I wanted to mention this flashlight: https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=293 I'm behind the curve when it comes to using LED flashlights, as this is my first one. But, I mean, it'll hurt your eyes if it happens to be pointed at them when you turn it on! Again, I use it on my truck. If you've ever tried to use a conventional flashlight in the sunlight, you know it doesn't "get in the cracks" like you need it to. This LED light does so easily. I do a lot of work on the ground behind my truck and the sun can actually make it tougher to see in tight areas.
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Light 'Em Up!

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:23 pm

NECROPOST!

I've got the same Otoscope in my Azon shopping cart. Now that you've had this on the road for awhile how's it holding up??

http://www.drmomotoscope.com
Kevin

"Warning, folks: If you live by the bumperstickerism, you'll die by the bumperstickerism.."

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Postby Mek-a-nik » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:42 pm

Sorry Kevin, I don't check here too often.
The otoscope has been working good. Battery life, et al.
The flashlight is good , too. However, I just started using a head light; the kind that strap on your head, literally.
It's the best for close work were holding a flashlight isn't possible or convienent. It puts the light right where you are looking. I even use one on the grill when cooking after dark!
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:42 am

Mek-a-nik wrote:Sorry Kevin, I don't check here too often.
The otoscope has been working good. Battery life, et al.
The flashlight is good , too. However, I just started using a head light; the kind that strap on your head, literally.
It's the best for close work were holding a flashlight isn't possible or convienent. It puts the light right where you are looking. I even use one on the grill when cooking after dark!

Seen a solar powered rechargeable headlamp flashlight in a electrical supply store few days back.
Price about $20. Did not have time to test. Suspect the light probably has backup batteries for operation when the solar cell battery is weak??? Indicated that direct sunlight not needed for charging.

Might be good option to reduce chance of grabbing for a light and the batteries are dead or weak.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:25 am

Speaking of which.. I just yesterday bought a pair of real cheap ($7.99) ones at Groupon - off brand, no name ones - not expecting much of them but wanted a couple for around the house and office - needed one the other day for "tiny print" serial number on a household appliance text was about this small (I just filled a ziplock with water to create a half-a$$ed magnifying glass)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Oh I'm a huge fan of headlights, I have several, all LED, one clips on the bill of my hat, the others strap to my head. I used the one on my hat to see to split wood until well past dark for a couple of years. Electric splitter, no way I would trust myself with a maul after dark :lol:

Quick edit, thanks for the reply on the otoscope too by the way. My shop is still in a state of advanced demo, hopefully I can get the rest of the ceiling down soon, start insulating and put everything back together... THEN I can start buying tools again HA!
Kevin

"Warning, folks: If you live by the bumperstickerism, you'll die by the bumperstickerism.."

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Postby Mek-a-nik » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:33 am

I have to look into a clip-on. I don't wear a hat in the summer. Was wondering what I'd do while wearing a hat. Thanks for the idea.
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby 51cub » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:17 pm

I see I'm bringing up a pretty old post, but good lighting is one of my pet peeves. I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. Anyhow, I can say with certainty, I like the Streamlight Stinger. It's handheld, so not necessarily handy when you're actually doing anything, but bright. I haven't found one to strap on my head that I like, but haven't stopped looking. While I'm here, I want to also second mek-a-nik's much earlier post about the Milwaukee cordless ratchet. My main deal was not having an air hose. I've had it near about a year, and had no problems with battery life. I use them on cop cars, and light duty trucks, the trucks are used heavily in salt. I've had days when I wanted more out of them, but I knew when I bought them there would be. To be fair, there's times I ask more from them than I should expect.
51cub

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:53 pm

51cub wrote:I see I'm bringing up a pretty old post, but good lighting is one of my pet peeves. I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. Anyhow, I can say with certainty, I like the Streamlight Stinger. It's handheld, so not necessarily handy when you're actually doing anything, but bright. I haven't found one to strap on my head that I like, but haven't stopped looking. While I'm here, I want to also second mek-a-nik's much earlier post about the Milwaukee cordless ratchet. My main deal was not having an air hose. I've had it near about a year, and had no problems with battery life. I use them on cop cars, and light duty trucks, the trucks are used heavily in salt. I've had days when I wanted more out of them, but I knew when I bought them there would be. To be fair, there's times I ask more from them than I should expect.

When you want to go looking for bright, excellent lighting, Look for Nebo brand name lighting - We have dozens of them in several styles - Pen lights with magnets, trouble lights (with a hanger hook) which are also magnetic base or back, they have clip lights, flash lights, pocket-size lights and always coming up with some useful new configurations - all have been excellent quality for us.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Bellman » Thu May 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi everyone. I only found this site last night while reading Echo svc bulletins on google. As soon as I opened the forum I felt like I had won the lottery. First, I'm NOT a professional power equipment tech. I am VERY familiar with all things mechanical, 2 strokes in particular. I've been building race gas, stroker, stand up jetskis for many years and most everything transfers directly to power equipment. Our carbs are all pulse pump Mikunis (a little bigger at twin or even triple 48mm's). Most jetskis have reed motors, but that doesn't change much for repair purposes. My Dad raised us on the very finest murray equipment money could buy at Kmart. I vowed that when I bought a house I would own nothing but commercial equipment, even if that meant only buying one piece per year. My first purchase was the venerable PB-210E. Good fuel/oil and maintenance has proved to make things last. I bought it in "97 and it still runs as good or better than it did new. Many more echo pieces have followed as well as a much coveted Toro Pro Line 21" Suzuki powered walk behind. I even snagged a mint 2 stroke tecumseh 2 stroke powered Flymo. I'm one of two local VP racing fuel dealers so having very good gas and oils has never been a problem. I wrench and tune on small engines based on experience, instinct (not always correct), and with a good tach. Sorry for the not so brief intro. My experience with forums is that usually the guys who REALLY know make far less posts than those who think they know, but don't. That said, I'll probably be doing a good bit more reading and asking than "helping". I saw this post and thought I'd mention a brand of lights I've been using for night mtn biking, bow fishing, and working on things nearly every day for several years. I just looked at their website and they're out of stock on almost everything at the moment. They're Cree powered LED light pods that can be mounted to everything from handlebars to their VERY nice headlamp harness to anywhere you can think of. They run on really small Li-Po batteries (safe ones-not homemade) and the pod puts out a minimum of 700 lumens. With two on the bars and one on the helmet (2100 lumens), it looks like a Lexus is going through the woods ;) . They have VERY long run times and many of my batteries are several years old and still take a full charge. While the price seems crazy, they've paid for themselves many times over. I have 7 batteries and 8 light units. Once you register and are a returning customer, your price is automatically 25% off. When you see the prices and freak out, remember the prices are in AU dollars, not US (I just checked and the retail price on the "run" kit is $210.00 AU which is $152.00 US). The current exchange rate is heavily in our favor at this time. They ship very fast and their warranty is golden. The run kit is probably the best deal if you're gonna use it as a headlamp and nothing else. For the record, I'm not affiliated with them in any way or have anything personal to gain. They're just SO AWESOME, I tell everyone I can about them. Here's a link and I'm really thankful I found this forum. It really fills in a lot of small gaps in my understanding and will greatly help my proficiency. Thanks!

Charles

Ay UP Lights

http://ayup-lights.com/
Bellman

Return to The Tool Crib