• Advertisement

Lipstick on a sow? Sears vs. Harbor Freight?

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Lipstick on a sow? Sears vs. Harbor Freight?

Postby Kevin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:09 am

Ok, I'm on Sears dot com scoping out the specialty tools section. I see a butt ton of tools from Chicago Electric, Pittsburgh, Cen-Tech... these are all brands sold by Harbor Freight, in many cases they are using the exact same pictures on both sites... When did Sears start selling HF stuff and why is it way more $$$ at Sears than at HF?? (yeah, I know, because it's Sears)

I know that they bought K-mart awhile back, not exactly sure why but it seems, IMHO, that Sears is going down hill quickly. Don't get me wrong, I have quite a few things from HF, sometimes it's a roll of the dice but I've had pretty good luck with them for the most part. I just never thought that I would see a company like Sears selling the exact same tools and at a premium.

Perhaps the alarm hasn't gone off yet and I'm still asleep, I dunnno.
Kevin

"Warning, folks: If you live by the bumperstickerism, you'll die by the bumperstickerism.."

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Advertisement

Re: Lipstick on a sow? Sears vs. Harbor Freight?

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Kevin wrote:Ok, I'm on Sears dot com scoping out the specialty tools section. I see a butt ton of tools from Chicago Electric, Pittsburgh, Cen-Tech... these are all brands sold by Harbor Freight, in many cases they are using the exact same pictures on both sites... When did Sears start selling HF stuff and why is it way more $$$ at Sears than at HF?? (yeah, I know, because it's Sears)

I know that they bought K-mart awhile back, not exactly sure why but it seems, IMHO, that Sears is going down hill quickly. Don't get me wrong, I have quite a few things from HF, sometimes it's a roll of the dice but I've had pretty good luck with them for the most part. I just never thought that I would see a company like Sears selling the exact same tools and at a premium.

Perhaps the alarm hasn't gone off yet and I'm still asleep, I dunnno.

Harbor Freight is probably selling on Sears website as a third party provider - Much like many sellers also sell on Amazon - Sears is in that game too, and there's a few other places - you can list your stuff on their website they collect a commission off the top.. so they mark up their stuff to whatever sears' "market" price is running at or trending to - sometimes more than their own prices, sometimes less.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:43 pm

I haven't brought any from Sears in years since they got where would make up broken lifetime guarantee tools just like I quit buying things from Rat Shack when it got to where the sales people didn't any about what they were selling.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Kevin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:43 pm

bgsengine wrote:
Harbor Freight is probably selling on Sears website as a third party provider - Much like many sellers also sell on Amazon - Sears is in that game too, and there's a few other places - you can list your stuff on their website they collect a commission off the top.. so they mark up their stuff to whatever sears' "market" price is running at or trending to - sometimes more than their own prices, sometimes less.

Yup, I see that now, didn't realize that they were doing that but looking at the heading it does include "seller" information. I guess that they're trying to cash in on the the Sears name a little but I'd be pissed off if I paid double for something there that I could find at HF with the exact same name (and the Harbor Freight sticker still on it no doubt).

KE4AVB wrote:I haven't brought any from Sears in years since they got where would make up broken lifetime guarantee tools just like I quit buying things from Rat Shack when it got to where the sales people didn't any about what they were selling.

I'm with you there, the girl that managed the Rat Shack store in Brandon when I still lived in Fla was a ham, nobody else in the store knew any more than the description on the package... I'll still end up there if I need something in a hurry but if I can wait a day or so it gets ordered online.
Kevin

"Warning, folks: If you live by the bumperstickerism, you'll die by the bumperstickerism.."

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Postby NO0C » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:47 pm

RS and SR, two outfits trying to assume room temperature, if not there already here. Used to buy a lot of stuff at Sears Roebuck, but when the nice store disappeared from downtown, so did I. Now they have an outlet in town, but I don't even think to go there as the sales staff is so disorientated and it's basically a 'We can order it for you outlet'. I have no idea how the K-Mart/Super K keeps their doors open and the lights on. Large store and a huge parking lot, but you can pick your parking spot most days and no lines, no waiting to get checked out.

RS, always referred to it as the 'Best Outhouse in Town'. Don't remember the last time I was in there. Not even sure if it still exists in the mall.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby Kevin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Looks like there are more than 2 license holders on the forum, good to know. Afraid that I'm not active anymore, but I keep my license up to date. No doubt that I'll want to pick up a mike again someday.

de N2NCE
Kevin

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Return to The Tool Crib