• Advertisement

Fume/exhaust extraction

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Fume/exhaust extraction

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:06 pm

So what are people using for exhaust extraction during the times when your shop is closed up? Looking online the commercially available automotive extractors are a small fortune and I really don't think I'll need anything that powerful. Thinking about a small squirrel cage blower existing through a shutter type door and some flexible pipe to place in front of the muffler of whatever I'm running/testing.

Don't want to spend a ton of money but I do want something reliable enough to keep the co detectors from going off (oh and to keep my exposure down, yeah, yeah, that one).
Kevin

"Warning, folks: If you live by the bumperstickerism, you'll die by the bumperstickerism.."

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Advertisement

Re: Fume/exhaust extraction

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:57 pm

definitely a good thought - shop here is almost never entirely closed up except in winter and in winter, there's not all that much repair work going on so not much run in the shop when it is closed up anyhow.. I figure a good solution might be a dryer vent and hook up a decent sized squirrel cage blower would do the job. (Rob a blower fan from a central forced air heating unit such as one out of a mobile home) It'd also be handy as a dust collector.. if you could hook up vacuum hose to the inlet side of the blower fan and drop a big filter (again from a central heating system) you'd be able to vacuum the place up too. :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:35 am

Since I won't be moving a ton of exhaust like I would with a car or truck I figured a couple of squirrel cage blowers mounted high up with small shutters on the outside wall. My garage has inch thick stucco walls on the inside SMH, PITA to mount anything and impossible to get a good clean hole in it without running through a ton of demo blades but I think 2 ports headed to the front of the garage for exhaust is doable with either flex pipe or some aluminum dryer vent should do the trick. MUCH cheaper than the off the shelf options.

My father-in-law is a wood worker and I had planned on setting up a small wood shop in the garage before the small engine idea so I have a couple of plans in my head for dust collection and dust separation for sweeping etc. I can see dust and grass being prevalent even with cleaning machines before they come in.
Kevin

"Warning, folks: If you live by the bumperstickerism, you'll die by the bumperstickerism.."

~ Paul Myers
Kevin

Postby Arkie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:50 am

Might even want to consider installing carbon monoxide detector.

If you ever got a overdose of the carbon monoxide (exhaust fumes build-up in a shop) and lived thru it you won't forget such. (silent killer type gas)
(severe deep headache for several days and weird feelings like maybe head has internal pressure in the forehead area plus other pains :( :oops: )

I'm very very careful and have a heads up for monoxide buildup since!!!!!!!!!!
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:22 am

Arkie wrote:Might even want to consider installing carbon monoxide detector.

If you ever got a overdose of the carbon monoxide (exhaust fumes build-up in a shop) and lived thru it you won't forget such. (silent killer type gas)
(severe deep headache for several days and weird feelings like maybe head has internal pressure in the forehead area plus other pains :( :oops: )

I'm very very careful and have a heads up for monoxide buildup since!!!!!!!!!!

yup. been there done that.. :) Feels almost like a real bad sinus headache, without the snot. If you're aware enough you may also notice you feel "stupid" (Slow in the head), lethargic, sometimes dizzy, unusually sleepy, etc.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to The Tool Crib