• Advertisement

Oil extractor

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Oil extractor

Postby Luffydog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:43 am

Oil extractor is a good tool for me like using it while doing other things without having to worry about spills
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Oil extractor

Postby sblg43 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:36 am

I have one as well. Sure makes the job easier and cleaner.
sblg43
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 pm

I got few questions here as I am looking into buying one this oil extractors as I keep finding engine without oil drains or the oil drain is impossible to get to. Should I go the pneumatic route or just a hand pump vacuum model and how reliable are these? Ie: Is repair parts available? I do know I would need a pneumatic unit that can handle 125 psi line pressure.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I had 1 from Stens, it lasted about a season , Briggs has them now also but I think overpriced (and cheap, made in china). If I need a new one I am more likely to buy a mightyvac vacuum brake bleeder (hooks to shop air) , but have to stock up on o-rings as they are not really made to handle motor oil and tend to swell but they would work very well I think the one I had many years back worked very well and had replaceable parts.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Luffydog » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:31 pm

I have the harbor freight one the green 6gal. Haven't had any issues with mine yet. Run engine get oil hot and it comes out faster than if cold. They do have others that are higher in price that sit on the floor with rollers so you don't have to lift to empty. They are near the 2000$ mark where mine is around $200 or under.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 am

The engine I working now is a non runner, I reckon I could build a fire under the engine to warm the oil up. :lol: or I need to just wait till Sunday for it to warm up. These under 10F nights don't help. The oil is so thick in the log splitter engine right now you can barely turn the engine over. Molasses comes to mind. I going to put back in the 5w30 synthetic oil with moly.

I got the do a valve guide job and replace the blown head gasket. It should be rebuilt but you know it cost more than the vertical replacement engine with my labor added. I am thinking that the moly will give it a little more life and I am thinking the main problems of smoking is the worn valve guide and the blown gasket.

I got those parts in Thursday afternoon, during our 27F heatwave. The Yo-yo is going back up Saturday.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:39 am

Well it would have been nice to know on the HFT oil extractor that it was needing a regular coupler and a pressure regulator.

The coupler and plug they supplied was some kind high flow version which doesn't match my high flow V-style setup. Plus wanted me make up a line to adapt over to their supplied plug.

In the manual they say fill the tank to the red line on its vacuum gauge which went to the middle of the red area. Well this is only 45 psi regulated input air and not the 110 psi max they spec in the owners manual. No way I would feel comfortable leaving 110 psi continuously connected while I am using the extractor.

I could have pickup a spare regulator while I was at HFT if I knew but now got make another 35 miles one way trip back to get one. I will also pick up the 1/4 nipple to attached the regulator permanently long with one my V-style plugs. Currently I can use my leak-down tester regulator setup with a male to male M-style reversing plug via a M-style coupler at the extractor.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:43 am

Well it have been 8 months with extracting fuel laden oils and the HF pneumatic oil extractor still working as intended though it is a little heavy [about 60 lbs when full] to lift when full but I taken several 5 gallon buckets of oily stuff to be recycled and a got another 2.5 gallons going this morning. Better recycled than dumped in the environment to pollute our waters and land.

Personally I like the fact that it is a lot cleaner around the shop and I don't need to clean the equipment as much except when changing the oil filters. I don't buy as paper towels and oil dry like I did before I got it. Less money spent on these so I get to keep more of my profit. :)
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:42 pm

Found video where you make one using shop vac
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby PtMowerMech » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 am

Luffydog wrote:I have the harbor freight one the green 6gal. Haven't had any issues with mine yet. Run engine get oil hot and it comes out faster than if cold. They do have others that are higher in price that sit on the floor with rollers so you don't have to lift to empty. They are near the 2000$ mark where mine is around $200 or under.

Does this unit allow you to pump the oil out of itself and into a jug? Or do you have to actually pour it out? I'd buy one if I didn't have to try to pour 60lbs of oil out into a funnel into a jug.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth"
PtMowerMech

Next

Return to The Tool Crib