• Advertisement

Making chainsaw chain loops, dumb questions

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Making chainsaw chain loops, dumb questions

Postby johnl_ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:45 pm

I've never needed to make chainsaw chain loops from a roll, what is the basic process using a spinner/breaker? What does spinning the rivet accomplish?
johnl_

Advertisement

Re: Making chainsaw chain loops, dumb questions

Postby bgsengine » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 pm

You count out the links needed to make a loop, break the chain at the tie strap rivets , then you assemble the chain to a loop and insert the preset tie strap on one side , the plain tie strap on the other - set it in your rivet spinner with the plain tie strap facing the anvil, turn down the threaded handle until it engages the rivet in the pre-set strap, then spin the anvil handle while tightening down the threaded handle until the rivet mushrooms over to match the other rivets - an experienced user can spin the rivets to be virtually indistinguishable from the factory spun rivets.

*edited to add* :

Also, if you have not done it before, for best results you should practice on an old, used up saw chain and get yourself a pack of preset and plain tie straps besides the ones that come with the reel - depending on the chain lengths you are making, there may not be enough. 1 25 foot roll of 3/8 pitch chain makes about 5 1/2 20" (72 drive links) chains
Practice on an old saw chain first for two reasons: one, you need to develop the "feel" and "technique" to center the rivet in the anvil for breaking the chain , and 2) you need to also develop the "fee" (and look) of a properly spun rivet - not too tight (chain kinks) and not too loose (don't want a wicked sharp saw chain coming apart and slinging around into your leg!)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby johnl_ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:50 pm

Dang, it seems I've got a lot to learn on this. Good info, thank you.
johnl_

Postby RoyM » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:16 pm

It does take practice, slow and easy at first paying attention to the details. Make sure the driver is sitting securely on the anvil, the tie strap needs to be pushed firmly against the ledge, and the punch is centered on the rivet. If it takes too much pressure to break stop and adjust before the driver bends.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:27 pm

RoyM wrote: If it takes too much pressure to break stop and adjust before the driver bends.
Yup which is why I keep a spare anvil (driver) handy, as well as an old broken one to punch out bar tip rivets :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:49 pm

I have broken a punch (or two) from being in too much of a hurry. :roll: If the chain slips into the channel or too much pressure is applied because the punch is not centered, the chain driver will bend and need to be replaced which is a time consuming pain in the butt.
Last edited by RoyM on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Yep. That, or on the .043 gauge chain, the chain drive link warps or bends so easily, not getting the punch centered just right, you end up having to cut another chain, or sometimes the drive link can be straightened out... We don;t do too much loop making any more - the time to put together a loop costs just as much as the "premium" you pay to buy pre-cut boxed loops - so we only keep 25 foot rolls any more for the few "oddball" lengths we don't stock in pre-cut sizes
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:36 pm

BGS,

I have what maybe a dumb question. Most loops I have even number DLs is possible to just remove one DL and re-assemble the chain? I looking a chain here and it seems as long as I use a preset and strap to replace the cutter it would work.

Just thinking about getting spinner and breaker here. If nothing else finish spinning rivets as I got someone in the area that is half doing their job and sometimes even half cut links.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Yes you can, it is done all the time. You will get an odd cutter spacing at the joint but it won't hurt performance.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:15 am

Thanks, That what I was thinking here after hand breaking a severely rocked chain here. I didn't think it would hurt performance much if any as I have personally used chains where I broken a cutter off due to a nail strike.

I have been seeing some new BNC where even the new chains are a little too long and short become nearly non adjustable after initial break-in. The chains are not worn out or stretched just simply too long for the factory setup.

I reckon I go ahead and order a breaker and spinner set of tools along with .050 joining kits for the common use sizes used here. I can buy pre-made loops just about the same cost as bulk chain here and shorten as needed. I was just trying to justify to myself the expense of tools. I had a few inquiries about me removing a link last year.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to The Tool Crib