• Advertisement

HF Earthquake Impacts

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

HF Earthquake Impacts

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:38 am

Has anyone had any experience with the Central Pneumatic's Earthquake 1/2" impact that Harbor Freight sells. I looking to upgrade the two weak 1/2 impacts I have; the pull bars I'm using are out doing these impacts on spindle nuts but my back problems are getting worse as I age. I have read that the twin hammer impacts are more powerful.

I know some things are good and other are bad from HF which why I asking. And I know there is more expensive models out there just don't want to break the bank unless I need to.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: HF Earthquake Impacts

Postby bgsengine » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:05 am

Yeah you have to be very careful with reading .. Central Pneumatics = Chinese built junk - The brand you want is CHICAGO PNEUMATICS- Made in USA. (Actually had been talking with them at one point to become a dealer for them, but it is just too far away from what we do here) But they are very good quality (and actually many Snap-On and Mac Tools pneumatics are made by the same factory - I repair my Mac impact with parts from CP) Problem is that Central Pneumatics uses a "CP" branding that confuses with the CP Chicago Pneumatics logo if you are not paying attention :)

I would highly recommend anything from Chicago Pneumatics.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:06 am

I agree that Chinese units are usually junkers. I tried a set of the HF tap and die sets; oh what a joke. I didn't try dies on anything as they still had manufacturing waste in the dies. I went and order the Vermont American metric set. Twice the money but I could get replacements locally at that time. The only problem now is none locals are carrying the line anymore so when I have tap failure I got replace them with a another brand and they don't fit the storage case.

I was thinking the EarthQuake was not a good deal but just about anything got to be better than the Campbell Hausfeld and the no name 1/2 (stronger than CH) that I got.

I'm now torn between the Chicago Pneumatic CP7748 and the Air Cat 1150 both rated at a little over 900 ft-lbs working torque. The Air Cat is quieter and uses a little less CFM; supposedly 8 CFM with an average of around 4.5. Either way I probably will need to change up to L connectors instead the M connectors that I am currently using. I got several quick connects for the tools just not on the lines. The CP has an one year warranty vs the Air Cat 2 year. The Air Cat is only $20 more.

I am in no big hurry on making the decision on the impact as it the off season and I can get one delivered in two business days from Amazon if really needed.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Mek-a-nik » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:59 am

I gave up on air impacts, ratchets, etc.
I replaced my 34 year old Blue Point (Snap On) impact with a DeWalt 18v cordless. Yes, batteries are expensive, but being able to use anywhere makes it worth it.
It was $300, so it's not in HF's league, but I have a tool that will last for years, plus the cost is a write-off.
I also have a Milwaukee 1/4" cordless ratchet, and will add a 3/8" soon.

Hope I caught you before you bought one. But then again, if you bought HF, you'll need another one soon. ;)
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:08 am

Mek-a-nik wrote:I gave up on air impacts, ratchets, etc.
I replaced my 34 year old Blue Point (Snap On) impact with a DeWalt 18v cordless. Yes, batteries are expensive, but being able to use anywhere makes it worth it.
It was $300, so it's not in HF's league, but I have a tool that will last for years, plus the cost is a write-off.
I also have a Milwaukee 1/4" cordless ratchet, and will add a 3/8" soon.

Hope I caught you before you bought one. But then again, if you bought HF, you'll need another one soon. ;)

Yeah it is a good thought - if you have spare batteries, but personally I just never have any luck with cordless tools - I always end up with the ones with batteries that give out early or batteries run out at critical times - after getting one tool have the battery replaced 3 times , and the tool itself replaced twice all under warranty , I gave up on cordless tools... I'm never far from a power outlet so I just go back to corded electric or air tools - If we were doing service calls (mobile repairs) a good set of cordless tools would be a must-have though..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:22 am

Well I thought I update this thread a little.

I went with the AirCat and couldn't be more please with it after a couple months use. At first I was a little disappointed with it as it wasn't much better than my old impacts but wasn't its fault. It was those M couplers being restrictive on 100 ft run of 3/8" hose, upgrade to V style and I only got bump it to loosen bolts. Found that after doing an air flow test. Surely don't want to go at it full force. It even remove nuts that were torque at 300 ft-lb plus rusted and put them back on the badly damaged threads that those center lock did. I have yet pull out that 5 ft pull bar cheater since starting using the AirCat. It even use less air and quieter too. Now I will replace my air ratchets too next Spring.

I don't even reach for the old impacts anymore and going to put them a yard sale for some home mechanic to use.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib