• Advertisement

crowfoot wrenches

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

crowfoot wrenches

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:14 pm

I was wondering how to properly torque the valve adjustment lock nut on a briggs given the setup. Found another manual that referred to the crowfoot wrench for doing it. Wondering if any reason not to get the flare nut version over the the regular type.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: crowfoot wrenches

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:34 pm

on What briggs setup? I've never needed them - wrench holds adjustment nut in place while torquing the lock nut.. unless someone put the lock nut underneath the adjusting nut...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Don't have model number here but it was 5.5 hp horizontal OHV on a tiller. It didn't have the set screw inside the adjusting nut. Bit confused now since the manual here isn't showing the setup I had. The locking nut was inside the the adjusting nut so if you held the adjusting from moving you could not put a socket on the one needing torqued. I will have to see if it shows this in briggs repair CD when I get home. Remote chance with my memory is I viewed a youtube video.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:23 pm

Ahhh, I see what they are referring to and have seen this adjustment setup where you hold the center bolt/screw while torquing down the locking nut. The crowfoots comes in both regular and flare nut versions(both 6 and 12 point versions). They even make in flank drive. Briggs is referring to the use of the crowfoot so you can use a regular torque wrench as you would use with sockets except your would have a crowfoot in place of the socket; hence the square drive in the crowfoots.

Six point crowfoot flare nut version
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib