• Advertisement

Tachometer App for phones?

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Tachometer App for phones?

Postby rogerf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:39 am

Hallo Folks,

I was wondering if anyone had tried one or more of the many tachometer apps for smart phones? Most of us carry one of these phones around with us now and I wondered if the apps were any good. I tried Acoustic Tachometer (RPM) and it didn't seem to give sensible readings for the single cylinder air cooled two stoke/cycle engine I tried it on. I had adjusted the settings correctly for that type of engine before trying it out.

I thought that if there is a reliable app available it might be worth putting it on the phone even if it costs a dollar or two.

Looking forward to learning what the experience of others is with these apps.

Cheers,
Roger :)
rogerf
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Tachometer App for phones?

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:45 am

Well Roger I don't have of those smarter than me phones but I would think none of the apps are going to be as reliable as the induction pickup tachs that I have used. Currently using a Tiny Tach but probably be in market for a replacement as the battery isn't going to last forever and it is a sealed unit.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:28 am

KE4AVB wrote:Well Roger I don't have of those smarter than me phones but I would think none of the apps are going to be as reliable as the induction pickup tachs that I have used. Currently using a Tiny Tach but probably be in market for a replacement as the battery isn't going to last forever and it is a sealed unit.

I'd recommend Echo's G310000050 PET-304 tach - I have had mine for 6 years so far and no signs of battery dying - and they have screws on the back of the case so appears battery can be replaced - Though I have not had to do so yet :)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby rogerf » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Hallo Folks,

Thanks for your replies. On the basis of "keep it simple" I agree a single purpose device is the way to go. I have a hard time justifying the cost of your suggestion the G310000050 PET-304 especially when shipping to Australia is included. I guess I should check the price from local suppliers, but usually they are at least double the US price. Maybe next time I'm in the US visiting our daughter and grandchildren it would be a good idea to buy one :idea: I'll have to keep to my old Briggs vibration tachometer for now. It works pretty well, just a little bit fiddly to use.

From a previous life in telecommunications 'smart' phones have all the bits needed and power to be able to work as an acoustic tachometer, however the one I tried didn't impress. I had to buy a smart phone when my old dumb phone eventually died, so I thought I may as well use it to do other stuff if it was good in that role. Too bad it didn't work out, but who knows maybe another app might be good. It could be worth keeping an eye on.

Cheers Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:01 pm

rogerf wrote:Hallo Folks,

Thanks for your replies. On the basis of "keep it simple" I agree a single purpose device is the way to go. I have a hard time justifying the cost of your suggestion the G310000050 PET-304 especially when shipping to Australia is included. I guess I should check the price from local suppliers, but usually they are at least double the US price. Maybe next time I'm in the US visiting our daughter and grandchildren it would be a good idea to buy one :idea: I'll have to keep to my old Briggs vibration tachometer for now. It works pretty well, just a little bit fiddly to use.

From a previous life in telecommunications 'smart' phones have all the bits needed and power to be able to work as an acoustic tachometer, however the one I tried didn't impress. I had to buy a smart phone when my old dumb phone eventually died, so I thought I may as well use it to do other stuff if it was good in that role. Too bad it didn't work out, but who knows maybe another app might be good. It could be worth keeping an eye on.

Cheers Roger

Someone with the engineering knowledge of the phones and programming may be able to create an inductive tach that plugs into the earphone jack and can read the pulses from inductive pickup. Much like the stripe or payhere card readers can send data into the phone the same way.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby rogerf » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:05 am

Great idea bgs!

I'll have a word with our son who is into that area of technology. My experience in that area was sooo long ago I can't remember much about it now. I'm not sure that Fortran and Algol are still used :roll:

Cheers Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:08 am

rogerf wrote:Great idea bgs!

I'll have a word with our son who is into that area of technology. My experience in that area was sooo long ago I can't remember much about it now. I'm not sure that Fortran and Algol are still used :roll:

Cheers Roger

I'll only ask 1% royalties when it gets patented... LOL!
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm

i had hoped to get a pet tach from repair clinic for a good price but after ordering they said it was nla from them. i had problems with my knockoff tiny tach so opened it up. i removed battery and was able to solder leads to the outside where i connected a coin battery holder to the leads.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib