• Advertisement

E-ring tool?

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

E-ring tool?

Postby rogerf » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:57 am

Hallo Folks,

Does anyone have a recommendation for an e-ring (circlip/snapring with no holes for ciclip/snapring pliers) tool?

I had to replace the chain drive/clutch drum on a Stihl MS 180 the other day and it was secured with an e-clip rather than the regular circlip/snapring. I had to use a small screwdriver to lever the clip off and it went flying in spite of my finger holding it down in an attempt to prevent an escape bid :oops:

I guess it's not a big deal, but it would be useful to have a tool for these clips if not too expensive. Looking forward to your suggestions and experience!

Cheers, Roger.
rogerf
Guide

Advertisement

Re: E-ring tool?

Postby bgsengine » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:00 am

if there is one that isn't called "Screwdriver" or some variation, I havent heard of it yet.. :)

I only pry them to about halfway off and then a thumb on the back side (as if going to push it back into the groove) while using the screwdriver to gently "finish" prying them off - rarely lose any but sometimes those "UFO's" just cannot be helped - and in any case, the usual recommendation with this type hardware if to replace it after removal (unless it is brand new) but most places don't.. hardware just isn't as cheap as it used to be any more..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Fulltilt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Yep, what he said.
A screwdriver is the tool of choice for the highly trained professional mechanic.
Ain't no special tool avail. that I know of.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby rogerf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:08 am

Thank you BGS Engine and Fulltilt,

Seems like I have been using the tool of choice for some time without realising it :D I've also learned that occasional 'UFO's' are normal. So it seems I'm not doing so badly after all. Maybe I'll buy a box of assorted sizes some time, that would probably ensure that I never have another 'UFO' :lol:

Thanks again for your help,

Cheers, Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:20 am

The E-clip and C-clip tools I ever seen all have been insertion type and nn that Stihl with the recess it would be harder to even to use them. Be glad they used the E-clip as they could use cir-clip ring like on the Briggs starters and then you would need the specialize install tool and they are a royal pain to remove without deforming them. Now have install a few cir-clips using sockets but is a pain to get it to work and if I install very many of them I would either buy or make a tool to install whichever size I was installing. So far the only besides the Briggs starter ring has been a 3/4" full cir-clip ring on some CV axles I am rebuilding.

As for the E-clip use a cloth to prevent the sailing of the clip.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby rogerf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi KE4AVB,

Thanks the old cloth trick is a good one to remember :) it makes a pretty good catcher for all sorts of 'UFO's'.

Cheers,
Roger
rogerf
Guide

Postby wristpin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:42 pm

If it is a small component that contains a part that is likely to go into orbit , perform the op inside a large see through poly bag.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib