• Advertisement

Recommendations for shop oil extractor

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Recommendations for shop oil extractor

Postby TwoCycle » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi,
I've been using two different hand pump oil extractors in the shop the last few years and both decided to give up right after the generator craze (Matthew).

Handled a lot of fuel diluted oil over the last two weeks. I need recommendations on a new one for daily shop use. Designed to withstand hot motor oil and fuel resistant materials are a must.

I prefer the hand pump style for portability and mobile service, but I'll entertain both 12VDC and 120VAC suggestions. Capacity range from a few quarts to less than 5 gallons.

I contacted Mityvac about their MV series extractors and tech support told me they are not fuel rated.

Thank You!
TwoCycle

Advertisement

Re: Recommendations for shop oil extractor

Postby bgsengine » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:15 pm

I would not be wanting use ANY electrical powered ones - especially in the presence of gasoline fumes... no thank you.. :)

Probably air power or hand pump power would be most suitable - either or both work by creating a vacuum in the container reservoir... and probably none of them get fuel rated because fuel tends to dry out the seals and cause rapid break down of the plastics and rubber parts.. so I doubt any company that makes vacuum pump extractors will ever say "its ok to use them with gas"

Ive used the mightyvac brake bleeder vacuum for the purpose and really didnt see any issues with it other than often having to replace the canister o-ring seal.. and as long as it does not get filled up too full (and slops oil or whatever into the filtered outlet) and cleaned regularly I would think they'd work fine .. just don't want an electrical one in the presence of any gasoline fumes.. it'd be kind of like walking around with a hand held bomb then..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:22 am

I made a 12 volt one a few years back. I took an old 2ish gallon garden pump sprayer- I mounted a small vacuum pump to the edge and made a sealed cap out of the old pump. The pump creates a vacuum in the old sprayer tank and in the warm oil goes via a few different hoses I have made up. One could not mount it and keep if further away. If a guy had a larger pump, like an AC evacuator running the show, you could make a powerful shop one. I rarely use it though except for units that are hard to access otherwise. The pump I have is like 15$ if I recall and the rest was basically nothing. You can clip it to the units battery or use a 12 v adapter to 110. This was the basis for the original idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzfLipeZidkI made a filter / transfer set up kind of like the guy in this video for some of my homemade wine.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby TwoCycle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi,

After reading Brian's reply, I called NAPA the next day and checked price and availability on the Mityvac MV7201. They said they could get it to me the next day for just a few dollars more than the cheapest online price.

The unit comes with 3 different diameter plastic tubes that fit any application I see at the shop. One of the nice features on this model is it can pump the used oil out into the container of my choice. So I can extract oil from a fuel fouled genset crankcase and immediately pump that into a gallon jug for recycling.

Unit is sturdy on its' stand alone footing, well built as most Mityvac products are, replacements parts are available, and all I have to do is pump the handle a few times to create a vacuum in the reservoir. Unit will recover a 2 quart crankcase in under a minute.

Thanks Gentlemen! ;)
TwoCycle

Postby acscolo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:16 am

I have a Mityvac MV720 hand pump fluid extractor. It does a good job. Because of its size, it's a little tippy so I put it in a box to prevent it from tipping over. The box also has casters so I can roll it around the shop.
After reading about using a brake bleeder, I tried my one person air brake bleeder last night. It holds 33 ozs. of fluid. I stiffened the hose with a piece of 3/16 brake line. It worked slick. I'll be using it from now on for all my smaller engine oil changes and use the Mityvav for the tractors and larger engines that come into my shop.
acscolo

Postby wristpin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:51 pm

When I had the business we used several of the one at the top of the list both in the workshop and service vans - both for sump oil and fuel if necessary. I presume that something similar is available your side of the pond.

http://sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?g ... fulltext=0
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 pm

I know this is an old thread but I have ran across a PneumatiVac fuild extractor.

Check the MITYVAC 7300

Starting @ $85.00 don't seem too bad.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:59 am

Harbor freight makes a ok one that I use only down fall is that u have to pick it up to empty it out. Only about $150 or so. They also make upper ends for about $2000 or so that will empty themselves without picking them up.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib