• Advertisement

Locking Nut torquing.

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Locking Nut torquing.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:45 am

I have some valve adjust lock nuts that need to be torque. I usually just hand tighten these but I am wondering if the crowfoots are what need to using with my torque wrenches to achieve the recommended torque setting or is it some special torque wrench I need to be looking for. The ones I did today were to be torqued to 13 ft lbs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Locking Nut torquing.

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:03 pm

yeah probably have to go with crowfoot.. I know of no special wrench otherwise.. but you COULD make do if you have a spare wrench to fit the nut at least 6" long - drill a hole at 6" from the center of the nut and use a pull scale (fishing gear) and double the weight - so 26 pounds pull on 6 inch leverage would give you about 13 Ft Lbs
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Locking Nut torquing.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:48 pm

I think that wrench idea would not had work in the tight area of the Honda ATV I was setting the valves on, too many things in the way for a straight pull. It was a pain even to get the 1/4 wide feeler gauge in there; at lease I was able to flex it into place. Then tighten that 10 mm hex while holding screw driver was the next problem My regular feeler gauges would even fit in the space and that 10mm wench barely had any room to turn. Boy they don't make these for engine work in place.

And I am glad I had that 23mm box end wrench for removing those valve caps. The customer was trying to remove them with a crescent style adjustable wrench and messing up the caps hexes.

Now to just decide if I want regular open end or flare nut crow foots, probably go with flare nut version. Or I could cut a slot in the deep well socket that the holding tool will work through. Hmmm I smell smoke.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib