• Advertisement

All Metal Magnifier

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

All Metal Magnifier

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:11 am

Does this qualify as just as good as that Nikki bowl gasket optical viewer that you have BGS? It says it is a 40 x 25mm. I received this as a birthday present from a machinist friend of mine.
Here is also something I had him to make for me. A Husqvarna Chain Brake Reset tool.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: All Metal Magnifier

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 am

KE4AVB wrote:Does this qualify as just as good as that Nikki bowl gasket optical viewer that you have BGS? It says it is a 40 x 25mm. I received this as a birthday present from a machinist friend of mine.
No Idea - I just used the briggs Otoscope for that picture
Here is also something I had him to make for me. A Husqvarna Chain Brake Reset tool.

Nice idea now if someone would make a chain brake spring installer.... hate doing chain brake work on some saws when that spring has to come out or come loose... after stabbing youself with a screwdriver a couple times you kinda learn to get creative to put them back in.. or just replace the whole side cover assembly and be done with it.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:17 am

I replaced several of the those Husqvarna covers too. Mostly because of all the wear. Even when the parts replaced still have problem at times on heavily used ones.

On that cover on the Husqvarna, that heavy chain brake spring they do have tool for it. It basically a grounded down 7/16" open end wrench with a T-handle welded on it. It is actually the isolator (shock) tool. Or at least that is how it is listed in the 455/460 SM. Note soft vise used to prevent damage to painted and plastic surfaces. And safety glasses are highly recommended.

First image the tool and second is how to use it.
Image Image
Tool PN 502506701
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:31 am

Yup still have a complete set of those tools from our Jonsered days - but even with those it is a royal PITA . then there's the Dolmar (PS-7910,PS-7310, etc) where that spring is mounted into the crankcase although those are a bit easier since they are "caged" in the crankcase all the same. compressing those springs by hand take quite some effort and not every tech will have the brute strength needed to do that easily..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am

I can imagine it would be. Here the last spring I had to install and that was a couple years ago, I clamped up the cover and used a monster pair of slip joint pliers I have get the spring in place. It also a real pain to reset that knee joint which is why I came up with an off the machine reset tool. With the 24" pull bar it is either going to reset or break. It is its choice. :lol: It much better than trying to press the cover down on the chain handle and pulling to reset especially the handle to brake is badly worn.

I haven't had the displeasure of doing one those Stihl chain brakes yet. They look nasty to install and reset.

Oh well enough time wasted. The grass is about dry and I got see how much of the 6 acres I can get cut today. Hopefully I don't set my personal mower on fire again. Done fish it out the pond once already this year. :lol:
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:45 am

Well this lobster is back; boy the UVs bad this year. When I get a chance I might try designing something that might work better on compressing that spring so it don't become an UFO or get hurt from the tool slipping.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib