• Advertisement

Multimeter Recommendations

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Multimeter Recommendations

Postby Dale_W » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:28 am

My 40+ year old analog Radio Shack multi-meter has given up the ghost.

What meters do you guys recommend?

Fluke (for example) only has about 400 different ones to choose from.

Remember, I am pretty much a hobby guy. With that in mind I'd like to keep it under $100, unless there is some 'gotta have' feature that puts it over $100.

I have been mindlessly wandering around flea-bay, and found a Fluke 15B+ that seems to have a lot of features.
Volts DC and AC, capacitance, diode test...

I see some used 73III that might be ok.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Dale_W
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Multimeter Recommendations

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 am

Most any good quality branded basic multi-meter - UEI, Fluke, Etc would cover most needs. You will want one that can handle Ohms (the more ranges the better) Diode testing can be done with an ohmmeter but most will have diode test feature (basically a go / no-go ohms test) and you want it to be able to read DC volts (12v scale at a minimum) and AC volts (up to 240v AC if you plan to do generator work) It's nice to have amps but not especially important (and easy to blow your meter fuse if you aren't careful about testing where high amps might hit) I have a Fluke 73 iii and almost never use the amps measurement (I got an Amp Clamp for that anyway) Finally, make sure it has an auto-ranging feature which, while it can cause confusion - especially reading Ohms - it's nice to have.

Good brands = UEI, Fluke, Extech, Klein are good brands I have had experience with (be careful about "knock-off" brands from china where they might brand something with a very similar looking name - if it seems too cheap, it probably is) You might expect to spend something like $50 - $75 for a good quality meter that will last you a while. Make sure the meter you get offers support (parts such as replacement leads, fuses, etc) and a good set of leads is nice (especially the type you can thread on an alligator clip adapter to the probe, and/or a needle-tip probe adapter)

The reason for the wide variety of meters is the "specialization" they can offer - but a meter geared towards automotive service would be the main thing to look for. However, you don't want to get one with a bad case of "feature-itis" so look at the dial scale - the simpler the better - Ohms, DC Volts, AC Volts (all with auto ranging) means you only have to set the dial to that one setting - fewer points on the dial to think about. (but that's a feature you can expect to pay extra for)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Dale_W » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 am

Thanks bgsengine!
I had never heard of UEI, Extech, or Klein, but have been researching them. Those are some great options for me.

I will end up getting one of them.

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Postby acscolo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:37 am

I was at a small engine electric troubleshooting seminar and training class.
This is the meter they used for the students to practice the troubleshooting techniques.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DNLZKC/_e ... QU3T1F3M2C

Briggs OEM DVM is part# 19602, I think it's an Extech MA220. If you want to go Briggs.

I would stay away from used meters for the simple reason that you want to have confidence in your equipment and not have to second guess whether or not it's reliable.

This is the meter that I have used for the past 35 years and has served me well. CTA A303. But like everything else, I doubt the quality is there in this day and age.
acscolo

Postby Arkie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:09 am

I'm a electrician, electronics tech, Refrigeration tech, and mechanic and I have all kinds and types of electrical testers, flukes, extech, craftsman, Simpson, other models of UEI.

Been using a UEI DL 49 for years.
The tester I use most often and I have bought these used from flea bay from $15 to around $30, (doing a saved search so as I know when one is listed) costs about $100 when new and is built bullet proof and reads DC and AC amps to 400, auto ranging on Volts, amps and Ohms and turns itself off if idle after about 5 min to conserve battery. You might hear rumors that it's NLA but it's still available even new.
Real simple to use for DC amps charging or discharging from 1 amp to 400 and real handy for checking starter draw amps.
Uses a 9v transistor radio battery and no worry about corrosion. If you buy one without a owners manual you can download the manual on-line. You can review the manual before you buy.
Keep a heads up for the itty bitty low bat indicator icon in the display, if it shows the tester won't read correctly on some scales.

Not a great loss if you lose it.

UEI DL49

Good tester and will stay right with a $1000 Fluke and no high dollar $$$ accessories required like you need to expand amp scal;es like most Flukes require.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib