• Advertisement

Drill Doctor DD750X

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

Drill Doctor DD750X

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Anyone got any experience with the Drill Doctor DD750X? I considering buying one. I getting tired of throwing away good drill bits just they are getting dull or chipped. At $6 a piece they do get expensive after a dozen or so replacements. The bit are very good but do eventually get dull after an year's use in the shop.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Drill Doctor DD750X

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:28 pm

I have one . well worth it but make sure and practice on an old throw-away set first to figure out the "finer points" or doing your drill bits - Im not sure if I got the DD750x but the one I got can do split points.

Took me several attempts on a few different sizes to really get it right (and I'd suggest if you dont use it every few days, keep your "old throwaways" to get back in practice next time.)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Use a Drill Doctor years ago and yes it takes time getting things set right and definitely want to do split points. Don't Remember the model but I know it is no longer available but it would not do the sizes that 750X will do.

I did have problem at first getting the splits right but it was a lot better than doing them by hand on the grinder. A few done on the grinder were UFOs at least I know not stand in front of the grinding wheel. Done seen what those UFO's can do to plywood walls.

That 750X looks to be a much better unit. I can get new one for $131 with free 2 day shipping.

And I got a few junk bits that I got from Lowe's that I can practice on. Definitely don't want to mess up my Fastenal bits.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby OverKnight » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm not sure which model I have; I bought it maybe 10 years ago. Someone like my father (who had amazing skill) could grind a better point than the Drill Doctor, but for the rest of us I think it works quite well. The key to getting a good point is to ensure the bit is correctly aligned in the bit holder. There's a flat on the top of the bit holder, and the groove between the flutes must be 90 degrees to the flat, i.e., the flutes are at 6 and 12 o'clock and the grooves are at 3 and 9 o'clock. This is easy to set with a larger bit, especially using the alignment device on the Drill Doctor, but you need to take a little extra care with smaller bit. It only takes a few turns to freshen up a slightly dull bit, but for very dull bits, you will need to re-set the bit in the holder and repeat the sharpening process.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Well I got in the DD750X and seems to work fine except the finish grind could be a little smoother but will work out. Sharpen about 15 of my bits already.

I also got a real test on the 365nM handheld UV I brought. Funny everything the UV dye supplier tried selling were unusable in bright lights. The one I settled on works fine though direct sunshine is still problem but at least I don't need to be under a dark tarp to find oil leaks. I have learned to use the UV dye to take guess work of finding leaks.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 am

Just noticed this thread.
I've been using a 750X drill doctor (one that will do up to 3/4 inch bits for couple years.
You need to practice on some bits that are medium sized first, about 1/4 to 3/8 inch in size and have a drill and piece of flat steel plate and see how the bit actually drills immediately after you have first sharpened to make sure it drills the steel plate good.
Have a new good same size bit at the ready so as you can compare the drilling or to look at and compare the grind.
I use a permanent marks a lot pen to color the end of a bit as I'm grinding to see the progress of the grind in the sharpener.

First time I used mine I sharpened several bits and they visually looked real good but would not drill into hot butter.
Read pg 26-29 off the owners manual especially about the relief angle. I had to use a 10 degree POSITIVE relief setting on my sharpener for good drilling into steel plate.

I also got the coarse stone for the larger bits but if a bit is seriously damaged I just carefully hand grind until I get it close then go to the Drill doctor for finish grinding and use the permanent marks a lot pen to see the progress. This coloring with the marks a lot. allows you to readily confirm the bit is ground all the way across from face to heel.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 pm

I had to chuckle regarding the UFO's, I have lost a few bits that way and came close to grinding my fingers off.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:24 am

Well I have been my Drill Doctor for several years now and have been very please with it. I just recently got the left hand bit jig for it but dont have any left hand bit yet but should be soon with a new set screw extractors is on the Christmas list.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib