• Advertisement

HFT 66150 Hydraulic Wire Crimper

For the Tool Junkies among us - Discussions related to any and all tools, equipment, machinery - purchased or home-made, that are used in Outdoor Power Equipment Repairs.

HFT 66150 Hydraulic Wire Crimper

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 am

Well I decide to buy one these hydraulic wire crimpers for doing battery cable lugs. I have done a few with it so only time tell if it will hold-up.

The hex crimps are done very well. With the particular cable lugs I have I do however need to use next larger AWG dies as if I use 6 awg to crimp 6 awg cable it over crimps the lugs. What worked best for me was using the 4 awg die for 6 awg cable lugs and 6 awg for 8 awg lugs which gives only a slight over crimping. I tried the 7 awg dies on the 8 awg and they still gave over crimping on my cable lugs. The over crimped lugs are usable just have what I call wings.
Example of actual crimps done using the HFT 66150
Either way it does a lot better job than the hammer crimper I have been using which did not hold very well all the time. The crimps also looks a lot better than those done by the hammer crimper.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: HFT 66150 Hydraulic Wire Crimper

Postby Luffydog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Where did you come across the crimped at
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Luffydog wrote:Where did you come across the crimped at

Please clarify. What are you asking?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Your hydro crimper. Spell check is great right. Didn't know where u can shop for one at.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:06 am

There is several listed via Google if you search "Hydraulic Wire Crimper". Most list dies in mm2 instead of AWG but here is a conversion chart.

I went with the HFT (Harbor Freight Tools) version as it was one I could put my hands to test before buying plus the dies were labeled in AWG. Definitely can find cheaper ones but they were buy without touching. Base on some the images of the dies used by some the other crimpers they are more flatten hex instead of a symmetrical hex. Of course if I need to go to 0000 awg (4/0) then I would to buy another unit. My needs here is basically just the 6 gauge and 8 gauge cables. Normally I just either replace those cable ends if 8 gauge copper cables are used or replace with upgraded 6 gauge cable assemblies if 8 gauge aluminum cables. Of course if the cable is bad or too short it gets replaced. Yes I have came across 8 gauge aluminum cables on MTDs; way under sized, too soft, and breaks easily if moved a lot.

I don't stock 8 gauge cable since I can get 6 gauge for the same price and even less if I go with synthetic rubber instead of PVC. Even then I only have a maximum of 20 ft of red and 20 ft of black on hand. I just don't go though it like I do with the 16 ga and 18 ga wires.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby mr-moe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Either way it does a lot better job than the hammer crimper I have been using which did not hold very well all the time.

I've used the hammer crimp for 40 years and after a good smacking with hammer, a touch of heat, solder and shrink tubing of the proper colour,
they always look great and never come apart.
Moe Fretz
Retired Small Engine mechanic, Ag tech, Auto tech.
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:43 pm

mr-moe wrote:I've used the hammer crimp for 40 years and after a good smacking with hammer, a touch of heat, solder and shrink tubing of the proper colour,
they always look great and never come apart.

Although that works fine, it does kinda defeat the purpose of crimping with a solid mechanical connection along with solid electrical connection. Plus when I am doing 110 Vac or higher it will not pass code in most places as soldering lead to lose connections as the wire heat under high amperage loads and the solder melt away. A properly crimped connector can actual cold weld the connection.

Now the insulation of the terminal is a good idea as it prevents accidental shorts.

After crimping I can't tell where the cable lug ends and the stranded wire start. Appears to be completely fused (Cold Welded).
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to The Tool Crib